final fantasy VIII problem

riincanavi

I downloaded a of torrent of final fantasy 8 and the game runs perfect up to one movie, I am using ePSXe 1.6.0 and i haven't really used emulator's much before. The game completely freezes but the music keeps playing.
I was just wondering if i might have needed a patch for the game or something else. please help me i am in need of final fantasy 8!

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
I think this game has copy protection that will not let it play correctly :(

But there could be a patch that will let it work :)

spotanjo3

I think this game has copy protection that will not let it play correctly :(

But there could be a patch that will let it work :)

No, not true. :)

The configurations for this game is not perfect.

PLUGINS
Emulator : ePSXe 1.6.0

GPU : Pete's OpenGL2 Driver Version 2.8

SPU : ePSXe Internal SPU plugin��[or]
������������������������ Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41���� [or]
������������������������ Eternal Lite SPU Plugin 1.41

CDR/ISO : ePSXe Internal ISO Image Driver [or]
������������������������������ Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCTL Driver Version 1.11

Controller - ePSXe Internal Pad

If you want to use Force Feedback or Vibration for this game, use SSSPSX Emulator with SSSPSX PAD Plugin. They work for me. Grin

CONFIGURATIONS

GPU Plugin Settings
Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.8
Author: Pete Bernert

Resolution/Color:
- 800x600 Window mode
- Internal X resolution: 2
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: on
- Render mode : 1 or 2

Notice the Internal X and Y? These are very neat features, it makes the polygons, and other 3D surfaces look really nice. You may find that your PC's cant cope with the high Internal X and Y resolutions at 2. So change it to X=1/Y=2 or X=2/Y=1. This should work along with Render mode at 1. If it doesn't then go for Render mode 2 along with X and Y at very high.��

- Filtering: 6
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: On
- VRam size: 256 MBytes

Hi-Res Textures can be used if you have a decent graphics card and a reasonable amount of CPU power and RAM. (if you don't want slowdowns). I like the Hi-Res textures stretched out 2xSal. This makes the rendered images very clear and you will notice that they have a nice effect on charactes. With the second option, you will see glitches, the borders will be all lit up. But with the second option, the characters look gorgeous.

VRAM size: You should keep this setting at 0 if you don't know how much VRAM your GFX card has. Otherwise set it yourself.

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 0

Notice that Framebuffer Effects is at 2 and Framebuffer uploads at 2? Yeah. FE is at 2 to give you the nice battle swirls and good special effects such as tweaking magic. (They look better at 2). The effects at 2 would be the best option as Framebuffer effects at 3 is really frickin' slow. (At least for me) and it may cause the game to crash during battles etc.

Ok. In this game Framebuffer uploading has the problems. I hate it! But atleast it can be switched. When using Framebuffer uploads at 0. You will notice that when you go from place to place, (during the transition - the screen will have a strange vibrating effect). To fix this you should keep the setting at 2. When you change the setting to 2 you will notice a big solid box behind the Name of your characters in battles. To correct this you should put the settings at 0. So see the problem? Sad Thats the only frickin problem I've noticed. Due to this, some minor glitches can be found throughout the game.

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 0/1
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: on
- Game fixes: on��[00000002]

You may want to put scanlines ON. Oh and there is this Special Game Fix. This should make sure that your graphics in FF7 looks neat as it interlocks the settings in place.

SPU
When using the Internal ePSXe SPU core make sure you have enable SPU IRQ check. See the Picture ePSXe SPU Core

For Eternal SPU Plugin and Eternal Lite Plugin configure as shown in the image. If you experience slowdowns in-game, change Audio out methods Asyn mode to Smooth. This should make the game-flow pretty smooth. Also try out SPU IRQ Wait CPU. That is if you want the game music to be accurate with the game.

CDR/ISO

Well as said for other games, ISO's are better. Better than anything else.

If using ISO, choose RUN ISO and choose your ISO from the directory. Otherwise using Pete's CDR ASPI/IOCT Driver. Here's the settings in the picture attached below

Oh and if you are running on Windows 95, 98, Me. Change the Interface to WIN9X/ME. For the Read mode, use autodetect feature.
Keep other settings as shown in the Picture.

Make sure you have enabled reading subchannels.

Last edited:

oldmanjoe

hey i had a problem were the battle meters and names werent showing up but i fixed that but ivce been having slight lagg and i unno what i can do to lower it. im still trying to fix it but any help would be nice :)

nano

Hey man, I know what you mean. I ve got the same problem. The game freezes on Rinoas face, when she is dancing with Squall, ain t it?
I m trying to find a solution, do the same.
I ve also tried to take a cheat (saved game) to start the game after the dance, but know I cant see the letters anymore. Damn it

Last edited:

fateor

this is not emulator problem.THIS IS THE ROM!
i had this problem and i save the game before the dance scene.
i download the game from another torrent and all works fine.