VisualBoy Advance performance issues?

Aapo

Hello emulation community,

I've been having some problems with VBA version 1.7.2 when running games. They are playable, but there's occasionally sluggish performance and poor framerate with graphically intensive actions, such as when accessing in-game menus. Oddly enough, when I turn off sounds the games become very fast, but there are delays when pressing buttons in sequence.

I don't really understand a whole lot about those layers, filters, Vsync and Renders, but ZSNES emulator has always worked like a charm starting with my old 120Mhz Pentium machine. Now when I play GBA version of same games with this current computer, it's no good?

What are the right settings for getting fast, error-free performance for VBA?

Computer details:
Windows XP SP2
AMD 64 3200+ (2.2Ghz)
1533 RAM
Radeon 9600 Pro (128Mb)

Jale

Try setting your video resolution as low as 640x480 at 16 bits depth. Also, set the framerate to 1 or 2. You won't get smooth framerate, but it'll still be playable and comfortable. Also, if your system requires it, install the GART driver of your motherboard.

Last edited:

spotanjo3

Hello emulation community,

I've been having some problems with VBA version 1.7.2

Try update to 1.8.0 beta 3 ?

http://vba.ngemu.com/

If you still have the same result. It is best for you to contact the author since he developed it with his brain and skill. He knows more than us therefore we cannot help you. Contact this author, ok ? :happy:

Jale

It's a shame VisualBoyAdvance is not being updated. Just look at Beta 3's release date :(

spotanjo3

Yeah, I don't know why it's been stopping updated but as far as rockman/megaman/castlevania/zelda games I care about is perfectly on this emulator! :D