Weird new Model 2 problem

Mr Thunderwing

Hi. I posted a topic on here about a year ago regarding problems I was having getting the model 2 emulator to work properly. Well I added an extra 1gb of ram about a month ago and I've just upgraded my graphics card to a Geforce 7600 GT which now runs the the roms pretty much perfectly - but I can't get the option to configure the controls to work! Everytime I click on the option nothing happens. I did use a different controller at one point after swapping the GPUs (a wireless PS3 Streetfighter IV pad) so I'm wondering if that might've done something to the emulator and not the GPU swap. I've tried re-installing the emulator from scratch and putting it in a different folder and opening the emulator in safe mode, but the same problem re-occurs. Does anyone know what I can do to sort it out? Also, As I said earlier it runs almost perfectly, i still have random moments when the CPU usage hits 100%and everything slows down to a crawl (I have the same problem in MAME as well). Does anyone know of anything I could do to stop this? One thing I've noticed is that in Task Manager my System process is using 104, 204 K (although the CPU bit next to it says 00), but I'm sure when I've checked the same thing on the computers where I work they're using something like 200 K. Is that normal? Any advice will be very gratefully recieved :)

Last edited:

Mr Thunderwing

Ahem, just ignore my weird problem with not being able to change the controls... I was just being really, REALLY , thick :D and forgeting you actually need to have a rom loaded to change anything. I've still got the issue of everthing slowing down after a couple of minutes play though. It's weird, because the CPU usage immediately goes to 100% as soon as the rom loads, but the slowdown doesn't seem to kick in until after a couple of minutes and then sometimes it rights itself. I've played a game with the screen minimised and kept an eye on the Task Manager and I can't see anything suddenly changing in any of the figures. Could this be the CPU overheating?

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Ahem, just ignore my weird problem with not being able to change the controls... I was just being really, REALLY , thick :D and forgeting you actually need to have a rom loaded to change anything. I've still got the issue of everthing slowing down after a couple of minutes play though. It's weird, because the CPU usage immediately goes to 100% as soon as the rom loads, but the slowdown doesn't seem to kick in until after a couple of minutes and then sometimes it rights itself. I've played a game with the screen minimised and kept an eye on the Task Manager and I can't see anything suddenly changing in any of the figures. Could this be the CPU overheating?

Its more likely to be the emulator throttling because of a refresh conflict. Are you running it on a fixed refresh LCD monitor?.

Mr Thunderwing

Its more likely to be the emulator throttling because of a refresh conflict. Are you running it on a fixed refresh LCD monitor?.

Thanks for the reply Trucker. I'm using a Phillips LCD monitor. I'm not sure about the fixed refresh bit though. I sometimes plug the computer into the TV via a DVI to HDMI cable as well (normally with the monitor still plugged in to the D sub connector using dual screen or clone mode) and the problem still occurs. In the interests of science I counducted a little experiment, where I removed the side panel of the desktop PC and pointed a desktop fan on full speed at the motherboard and the slowdown problem didn't happen at all on some games (except for some weird reason, everytime, on the second stage of Sega Touring car and House of the Dead seemed a bit slow). Pcsx2 seemed a lot better as well, although that still did slow to a crawl at one point.