Emulator Problem: Trying to Emulate on Windows 95

MLD Woody

I have been trying for awhile to run Visual Boy Advance on windows 95. After some trial and error and DLL error messages I instead tried to find the oldest version of VBA I could. So I downloaded the 1.2.something version. I couldn't find anything to unzip on windows 95 so I used an online website to unzip and then I downloaded all of the files again. So I have the old VBA and all of its components, the ROM, and the newer version of VBA that won't run all in one folder (the newer version is a picture of a gameboy but the older ones not).

So I can't click on the older version and have it run but I can drag the ROM onto the old VBA file and the game will start. There is a tiny window for the game and then a bigger window behind it that's black with white typing (both are from the VBA). So I figured I finally got it to work, but then another problem came up, saving isn't working. I can save in the game, and it all looks like its working, no errors pop up, but when I drag the file back onto the VBA file to start it my saved game isn't there.

So if anyone bothered to read this I would greatly appreciate any help. Basically I need to figure out how to save. Thanks for any help.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Thats one fossil operating system you are running there. Well, the reason why it probably isn't saving is because that version of VBA doesn't support it. First versions usually always have something majorly wrong like that. If that is the case, try a little bit newer version of VBA. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest that you try to update your OS or your Machine. :)

MLD Woody

Ya, I know its super old. Actually its the operating system we're running in the computer lab in my computer science class. See there is a hell of a lot of free time in there and I was trying to figure this out the past few weeks. It's all in my student folder too, so I can play on any computer.

Should all versions of VGA work on Windows 95, or is there a cut off point? Or better yet does anyone know the version of VGA where you can first save? Also, do you think NO$GBA would be any different?

Edit: I just saw you were from Cleveland. Same here, well a suburb of Cleveland.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Ya, I know its super old. Actually its the operating system we're running in the computer lab in my computer science class. See there is a hell of a lot of free time in there and I was trying to figure this out the past few weeks. It's all in my student folder too, so I can play on any computer.

Should all versions of VGA work on Windows 95, or is there a cut off point? Or better yet does anyone know the version of VGA where you can first save? Also, do you think NO$GBA would be any different?

Edit: I just saw you were from Cleveland. Same here, well a suburb of Cleveland.

Haha, I am also from a suburb of Cleveland. =] welp, to answer your question about OS compatability, most emulators like that have been trying to be emulated around the time of 95, so yeah, it should be compatable. It maybe that your OS doesn't have DirectX installed, which could probably be a major factor. I researched a bit, the newest version VBA is mostly made for XP. As far as NO$GBA is concerned, it isn't running anything on 95. I hope I answered your questions thoroughly. =)

MLD Woody

ya dude thanks a lot, you saved me a lot of time of fussing around with NO$GBA. Now I know my best bet is VBA, and I'll try to find the DirectX control. This is all actually for a computer in my AP Comp Sci class. There is so much free time I need something to do. With the proxy whatever blocking every site and not even having flash player it was hard to find something good. The best part is this is all on my student folder, so it'll work on all computers in the school.

MLD Woody

In case any one was wondering, I found a solution. At first I thought I would need to download DirectX 8 for windows 95. It turns out all the computers at the school are in "deep freeze" so downloading DirectX won't stick. This may work, but I didn't wat to have to go through all of the trouble of "thawing" the computer. What did work though was a really simple solution, I just did a save state in place of saving the game. You do this by hold Shift and an F key (F1 to F9). This saves the current state of the ROM in one of 9 spots. This also saves when the computer is shut off and then back on.