Slow emulation :(

Meatball

I'm using Project64 to play my own dumped .Roms on my PC with the following specs:
Intel Core2Duo E6600 2.4Ghz
2GB Dual-Channel Ram
nVidia 7900GT
500Gb Data 7200k hard drive and 36Gb 10k raptor (for O/S)
Windows Vista Home Premium X64

I'm using default plugins apart from the controller, which I use N-Rage. Everythings fine but the emulation is slow, it's very annoying! Donkey Kong 64 and Mario 64 are stuck at 25Fps, Both Zelda's run at 17fps (Apart from menu screens and the beginning where it says 'Nintendo' in 3D). Goldeneye varies from 10fps up to 50fps. What's going on? Playstation emulation on my PC is fine and my pc is more than capable of handling N64 games @ 50FPS. Any ideas?

Jale

Are you talking about the in-game FPS or the emulator's FPS? Zelda has been designed to run at about 20 FPS, even if your emulator says it's running at 60 FPS. Only a few games run at full 60 FPS such as "Super Smash Bros". Have you tried that game to see how it runs?

Meatball

Just its speed in general! At 17fps I find it laggy and unresponsive, FRAPS shows the framerate at 17fps. I haven't dumped my Super Smash Bros. yet, I'll give it a try though.

Last edited:

Meatball

Try comparing your dumped ROM with another ROM from the Internet.

Play the same, they're all dumped properly, been verified and checked (Dumped on Win98SE machine with V64Jr and WJrread). Is project64 ok running under Vista?

BTW: The games are being played on my tv via DVI-HDMI @ 1920x1080 (1080p.) The sounds goes to my amp Via SPDIF. Don't know if that'll make a difference.

Last edited:

Jale

Judging by your video card, it shouldn't be any problem playing games at such high resolutions (I have a mid-end card and can play at that resolution too), but since Vista is a resource eater with its shitty ass AERO interface, maybe that's the problem.

I've also read that there are some issues running Project64 under Vista, but I've tried it by myself and the thing ran fine. The only thing is I tried Vista for only a week and got rid of it.

Meatball

Judging by your video card, it shouldn't be any problem playing games at such high resolutions (I have a mid-end card and can play at that resolution too), but since Vista is a resource eater with its shitty ass AERO interface, maybe that's the problem.

I've also read that there are some issues running Project64 under Vista, but I've tried it by myself and the thing ran fine. The only thing is I tried Vista for only a week and got rid of it.

I like Vista, hence why 2/4 computers in the house use it. When I see OOT running here it's much faster than mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWOCFb-YXlE. The Zelda games are the ones I'm desperate to play, but typically they're the ones that run the worst, 17FPS :fuckyou:. Any other suggestions? :(

Jale

What about video card drivers? Are you using the latest ones? Also, make sure you have the GART drivers installed (if there's any for your motherboard).

Meatball

What about video card drivers? Are you using the latest ones? Also, make sure you have the GART drivers installed (if there's any for your motherboard).

Drivers are updated monthly so that's not the problem. Never heard of GART drivers, any links to 64-Bit Vista GART drivers?

Jale

If your motherboard has SiS components, it may require a GART driver. I won't know until you tell me your motherboard brand and model.

Meatball

If your motherboard has SiS components, it may require a GART driver. I won't know until you tell me your motherboard brand and model.

Intel 965P chipset, no Sis components :). I'm gonna give PJ64 1.7 a try and try other various plugins. Wish me luck :(.