Popping noise at beginning of AVI file

chpoof

This has been driving me crazy for I don't know how long, so maybe somebody here can help me. I have an AVI file that I converted from a VOB file using AutoGK. I only want a chunk of that particular AVI file, so I use either boilsoft's AVI Splitter or VirtualDub to dub the portion of an AVI I want. No problem with the dubbed file except for one thing: There's always this very audible pop at the beginning of it whenever I play it back. This occurs during playback in Windows Media Player, Real Player, and Media Player Classic, but for some reason it doesn't occur in VLC Media Player. Does anyone have any idea how I can dub the file and avoid getting that obnoxious pop? It's perfect except for that one flaw. And the pop only occurs at the very beginning, right when the file starts playing. (This is a consistent problem I have with almost all dubbed AVI files.)

Thanks in advance! :)

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
If VLC has no problems with it it must be from your codecs.
Please give teh exact steps you followed when splitting that .avi file so I can (try to) help you.

I recommend you use Direct Stream Copy for both audio and video. :)
And try to mark teh beginning of your desired .avi portion a second earlier or later than you normally do.Maybe you just chop it in teh wrong spot and get that popping noise sound you say.

chpoof

If VLC has no problems with it it must be from your codecs.
Please give teh exact steps you followed when splitting that .avi file so I can (try to) help you.

I recommend you use Direct Stream Copy for both audio and video. :)
And try to mark teh beginning of your desired .avi portion a second earlier or later than you normally do.Maybe you just chop it in teh wrong spot and get that popping noise sound you say.

Thanks for your reply, VampyR. It looks like I may have solved my own problem...sort of. I changed the output audio type setting on my Auto Gordian Knot to VBR MP3, kbps 128 (it was set on auto), then converted a file from MOV to AVI. When I opened up the AVI file in VirtualDub, here's the message I got:

vbr_audio_stream_detected.jpg

When I selected "yes" and then pulled out a chunk of the AVI file, the audio was off by a few seconds on the dubbed file. But when I selected "no" and then dubbed a section, the audio was perfectly fine, and there was no pop at the beginning of the new file. Unfortunately, if I use AVI Splitter to pull out a chunk, the audio is off by several seconds, and I don't know how to adjust it so that that doesn't happen. (The initial pop is gone though.) So apparently there's something in my audio settings on Auto Gordian Knot that I need to play around with. But for now, it seems I can do with I want to do with VirtualDub. (Oh, and I usually use Direct Stream Copy whenever it allows me to do so. Previously I tried cutting the file at different spots, but that didn't seem to solve the problem.)

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
For Virtual Dub:

You can save teh whole sound to .wav.Make sure you have enough HDD space.
Then recompress with a variable bitrate...choose Direct Stream Copy for video and for Sound choose teh wav you just dumped.Compress to .mp3 with a 128kbps and 44.1Khz setting.
Now...you can open teh new .avi file and cut teh part of video you want with no problem.Sound won't have any delay. :)