Newbie with questions

El Jefe

I'm new to emulation, so any advice is welcome. I have a bunch of great NES roms and I'm using the nester emulator to play them. The issue is that in a small window they are great, but when I go full screen the colors are all wrong. Any help or ideas?

Saucerful

Avid Fan
Nester is a fairly old emulator, and is no longer updated. Fullscreen mode may no longer work with newer hardware or operating systems, or may never have been implemented properly in the first place. I would recommend trying a newer emulator. This is by no means an exhaustive or definitive list, but you can check out my post I made recently comparing a few newer emulators. Since I assume you're planning on playing fullscreen, I would recommend either Jnes, Nestopia, or FCEUX.

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=19971&p=116559&viewfull=1#post116559

Last edited:

testmachine

Old member
Nester is a fairly old emulator, and is no longer updated. Fullscreen mode may no longer work with newer hardware or operating systems, or may never have been implemented properly in the first place. I would recommend trying a newer emulator. This is by no means an exhaustive or definitive list, but you can check out my post I made recently comparing a few newer emulators. Since I assume you're planning on playing fullscreen, I would recommend either Jnes, Nestopia, or FCEUX.

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=19971&p=116559&viewfull=1#post116559

I fully agree with you!

El Jefe

I can do that. Will I have to get all new ROMS? From what I understand finding virus free ROMS online can be a challenge. I have 600 or so awesome NES ROMS that work with nester, but I'd much rather play full screen.

Saucerful

Avid Fan
I can do that. Will I have to get all new ROMS? From what I understand finding virus free ROMS online can be a challenge. I have 600 or so awesome NES ROMS that work with nester, but I'd much rather play full screen.

You won't need new ROMs. Some of the emulators I listed are said to be the most accurate NES emulators available, or in other words, compatible with the most ROMs. This is assuming your ROMs aren't hacked in any way, in which case I can't really comment.