Need help from someone who knows a thing or two about espxe, and can stay on task.

Semeron

Sorry for the somewhat rude title but as I was scanning over other threads in this forum i couldn't help but notice how alot of help questions ended up in discussions about forum rules or which character from which game is more badass. Anyway, I've been trying for awhile to get espxe working, to no avail. I was hoping to be able to play some old playstation games (that i own, its just that my ps2 is broken and I really dont want to go buy a new one or ps3), specifically the final fantasy games. I'm running windows xp home edition, and I've read a few tutorials about setting up espxe 1.7 (or whatever the latest version is) with the right drivers/plugins (the petes graphic plugin and whatnot). Now, I have the games on my computer in .rar files, and I've even copyed the files of FF8 disc 1 to my computer using Alcohol 52%, but it dosn't change them to .iso files (which i assume is needed to play the game?)... it changes it to a MDF file. Whenever I try to play the game in epsxe nothing happens... just a black screen. Any tips on how to get this thing working? Much thanks.

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
yeah, it was a bit rude considering this is your first post here but I'll try to help you along.

First of all you don't need to make an imagefile of your game. Set up properly ePSXe can read your game discs.

As for MDF files I'm not entirely sure that they work directly in ePSXe but it's possible. To be on the safe side you need to use a virtual CD program like Daemon Tools and set up a virtual drive and mount your image file in that. Then set up the CD/DVD plugin ePSXe to point to the virtual drive.

If you still get just a black screen something is probably not right with your graphics plugin.

If this don't solve your problems please provide us with your graphics card name/model and what plugins you use.

Last edited:

retroguiden

Man of Many Talents
I really don't remember if it was easier to use (I doubt by much) but I generally don't recommend someone to not use the latest version of an emu. If the problem is with the graphics plugin it won't matter much what version of ePSXe you use.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
The current version of ePSXe is just as user friendly as the previous version in terms of options and functions. Lilsonic 95's advice doesn't remotely relate to the issue this user is having.

If ePSXe won't run MDF files natively you have 2 options. One is to use a MDF to ISO converter and run the resulting ISO directly in ePSXe. The other is to setup your virtual drive in ePSXe, mount the MDF image to the virtual drive and use the run CD-Rom option from the file menu.