Is Lara Croft on steroids?

soopytwist

I’ve been trying to play TR3 using ePSXe version 1.6
Basically what’s happening is rather strange, after every 1 minute 45 seconds the game will speed up. Since using Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 for the sound the sound and music has not speeded up also (as it did using any other sound plugin). This speed will increase to Benny Hill proportions for exactly 1 minute 15 seconds before returning to normal speed (50 fps).

I’m using Pete’s OpenGL2 Driver 2.6 because it comes with psx emulation cheater 2.5 (but I’ve tried running the game without using psx emulation cheater and it still speeds up).

I’ve got FPS limit on and set to 50, I’ve tried ‘Nice’ setting and all sorts of combinations of windowed and full screen methods.

I was using a USB-Playstation adapter to use a Playstation 2 Dualshock controller (which works) then I tried just a normal Playstation 1 joypad. Finally I unplugged the adapter and used keyboard. All methods are irrelevant to the speed up problem because it’s still there.

While running in a window, occasionally but not always the game will speed up even more while the mouse is being moved.

I’ve run out of ideas. I’ve timed the frequency of the speed up and it is exactly every 1 min 45 sec of game time for exactly 1 min 15 sec. Strange uh?

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
I’m using Pete’s OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Don't.

Use Pete's Open GL or PEOpS Soft GPU. Click HERE
For sound you can also use PEOpS DSound plugin.

Lara on steroids... :D

Last edited:

soopytwist

I've just tried PEOpS Soft GPU plugin and a newer version of Pete's OpenGL2 driver. Nothing has changed, Lara is still speeding up. When first running a game (any game! it appears it's not just Tomb Raider III) there a short bursts of frequent speed until it settles down and then doing it around every minute and half or so.

I think it might be hardware related, I don't ever remember having this problem with my old system.

I should have mentioned before, I've tried both running from the original disc and an ISO file for a few games and they all do it.

I've also just tried reducing my AMD processor down to one core for the ePSXe process in task manager. There is a bug apparently that makes some games run too fast and it's because of dual core processors. For those who don't know. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del when a game is running and then click on Processes, select the application with right mouse button and then click on 'Set Affinity' and untick CPU 1.

I was pretty certain this would work but it doesn't, not for ePSXe anyway.

My specs:
Mobo: DFI Lanparty UT RDX200CF-DR Crossfire
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dualcore 4800+ ~2.4Ghz
FAN: Zalman CNPS7700-cu
O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
RAM: 2Gb OCZ Platinum PC3200 Dual Channel EL-DDR CAS2
PSU: Hiper Type-R Series 580W
HD: 160Gb SATA300 Western Digital WD1600JS Caviar SE
200Gb Maxtor OneTouchII (External USB HD)
Drives: MSI 52x32x52 CD-RW, LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B
Graphics: Connect3D Radeon X1800XT DX9.0c Catalyst 5.11 (current)
Sound: Creative Audigy2
Monitor: Dell 2405FPW (desktop res at 1920x1200 60 Hertz)
Mouse: Logitech G5

-=VampyR=-

Immortal
Might be a problem with dual core processors.

You do Use Frame Limit...and Frame Limit to 60fps right ? (both checked)
No Autodetect.

hagbard

You can also use two "special game option" on Pete's or P.E.Op.S GPU plugins: "Use PC fps calculation" and/or "Use low-res fps timer"