In a dilemma about whether or not my computer can handle PCSX2

UltimateGanon

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 processor 3000 +

1.8 Ghz, 1.00GB of Ram

I know It's only 1.8 Ghz, but I thought because of the fact it's athlon, I heard something about The Ghz for Athlon and Intel not being measured the same or something and that Athlon is actually more powerful than advertised.

So I'm wondering if I would be able to run this safley on my computer.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
You can run it safely, but it will run like a dog. You need a relatively fast dual core system, a minimum of 2Gb of Ram and a decent modern graphics card. The thing with Athlons and Intel are purely to do with the features of the various chipsets. Your Athlon runs at 1.8Ghz, the '3000' was meant as a comparison to the Pentium 4 chip it was meant to be equivalent to, but again it only applied to games that used the Athlons hardware features to make up for its lack of speed in terms of number crunching power (which is what emulation requires) its irrelevant.

UltimateGanon

My Laptop is:

AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Dual Core QL-60 running at 1.9 Ghz

3GB of Ram and a 64-bit operating system.

Would this be better suited for emulation?

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
My Laptop is:

AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Dual Core QL-60 running at 1.9 Ghz

3GB of Ram and a 64-bit operating system.

Would this be better suited for emulation?

For emulation in general it will be fine (as will the first PC) its just meatier emulators like PCSX2 that you will struggle with. Your Laptop probably won't give particularly good results either. its Dual Core processor is an old 1.9Ghz Athlon and PCSX2 recommends a fast (3Ghz...ish) Dual Core like a Core2Duo which is light years ahead of the Athlons in terms of speed and architecture.

As with everything you aren't going to bust anything by trying things out to see if you get playable results and its generally quicker to try these things than wait for replys here. My suspicion though is that your frame rates will render it unplayable with either system.

Last edited:

PCGAMINGRULES

And what about video?

I would also include: What is your chipset? Some time Chipset is a limitation to get all the power out of your CPU or even memory. So check it out for OC capabilites. Another thing to consider is AMD Fusion tool for gaming it really boost your whole system so emulation can take advantage of it.