I am having massive problems with Nintendo 64 emulation (maybe windows 10 is to blame

gulstol

I downloaded 4 or 5 different emulators for Nintendo 64, The only one I could even open was two versions of Project 64. And I am having huge problems with those too. Both my Nintendo 64 controller and Gamecube controller is messed up in the emulator. When I try to set keys, the start key is automatically set all the time. So I have to hold down the buttons I want to set before I click "set button" in the controller plugin. Then It works. Except I can't use the start button on my n64 controller, because the game will spam click that button, making the game unplayable because it pauses and unpauses. That does not happen with gamecube controller tho, but it spams start button when I try to set the button. Even tho I save the settings and use them, I will have to reset the buttons in order for it to work.

The audio does not play. When I use an audio setting, the game gets super sped up, making it unplayable. I have tried all the different avaiable controller plugins, no one works well for the controller. The only working project 64 version I am using now only has one plugin for controller, grapghics and audio.

I have never had a problem with Project 64 before, so I am guessing it is windows 10 ruining it. I have no idea what to do. The version I am using now is 2.2.03. All other versions wont even install except for 2.1, but that one does not work for me. I have tried setting compatability to: Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP. I have tried running with administrator. I have tried the combination of both. Jesus christ, what can I do? Uninstall Windows 10? Don't want to do that.

tl:dr: Controllers are bugged, they work otherwise for my real consoles. Audio is bugged. Game gets sped up when I make audio work with changes, but it speeds up the game and the audio. I tried checking and unchecking FPS speed option.

*edit* Now that I reset all settings, closed the emulator and started it again it works. (It has not worked before when doing that) Except I had to change from Jabo direct grapghics plugin to Glide64 plugin because the screen flickers in full screen. I still have to reset the buttons for the gamecube controller (except this time it doesn't automatically set the buttons before I press anything) It is still bugged like a mother f**** but it works at least, for now.

*edit 2* Playing Donkey Kong 64. Sometimes the characters body will stretch across the screen. Sometimes When I climb a tree I will transport into a location without anything in it, which after a while transports me to the start of the level.

Last edited: