good open-source sega genesis emulator?

malloc4096

I came to the same conclusion as you.. I don't know if its open source, but i used 'gens v2.14'. theres a fork called 'gens+' that has more video options such as D3D etc, i think, never actually used the 'plus' version.

just fyi tho, IMO, its not worth even looking at. Almost every game can be found on a different platform... The only reason I tried sega genesis was cause, zsnes didn't have 'road rash'... so I tried it, and regret it LOL. Its not the emulator or picture quality, the Genesis is just horrible. My guess is, because it was a higher bitrate than SNES, the genesis had to lower its frame rate or something. Cuase it only looks like visual diarrhea... Perhaps if you have an OLD OLD blury CRT TV, it may look OK, but still will be the worst choice of platform for a game. Has nothing to do with my know-how either, I know how to set and work emu's better than most, its just the genesis.

If you post what your looking to play, a more worth while answer IMO, I could give you is what to play it on... I use a very underpowered comp for todays standards and have found with the proper setup it emulates almost everything playable pre-PS2 era.

EDIT: I re-read your post an FYI, i was relating to not trusting FUSION, not your only open-source comment... On that note, I don't know how old you are, or how much you know about programming.. but IMO - I believe open-source is admirable, and holds a higher possibility for security in terms of transparency, However I think its more of a false-sense of security. Closed-source apps Have just as much potential if not more to be secure and honest, its just you don't know because its not open. It all depends the Compedency of the Developer or Development Team.. Just cause its open source doesn't mean its more compedent... You may also come to realize theres not many compedent 'arm-chair developers' out there actively reviewing all open-source code, so.... just like Closed srouce, Some open source will be well polished and some won't. I tend to judge an app on the installation options and its choice of language or exacution it forces you to run under apposed to what it actually needs to do. . . and going forward I fear opensource will become less and less inhearently compedent/secure, seeing as all the kids these days are on drugs and all sorts of behavoral/mental issues... I'll cut this part of my comment short so i don't need to sensor myself, but in short... theres going to be a lot more F'd up ppl in the world after these kids grow up, and more and more of them will also be doing computer work, so yea.. do the math.

Last edited:

tatersala

I came to the same conclusion as you.. I don't know if its open source, but i used 'gens v2.14'. theres a fork called 'gens+' that has more video options such as D3D etc, i think, never actually used the 'plus' version.

just fyi tho, IMO, its not worth even looking at. Almost every game can be found on a different platform... The only reason I tried sega genesis was cause, zsnes didn't have 'road rash'... so I tried it, and regret it LOL. Its not the emulator or picture quality, the Genesis is just horrible. My guess is, because it was a higher bitrate than SNES, the genesis had to lower its frame rate or something. Cuase it only looks like visual diarrhea... Perhaps if you have an OLD OLD blury CRT TV, it may look OK, but still will be the worst choice of platform for a game. Has nothing to do with my know-how either, I know how to set and work emu's better than most, its just the genesis.

If you post what your looking to play, a more worth while answer IMO, I could give you is what to play it on... I use a very underpowered comp for todays standards and have found with the proper setup it emulates almost everything playable pre-PS2 era.

EDIT: I re-read your post an FYI, i was relating to not trusting FUSION, not your only open-source comment... On that note, I don't know how old you are, or how much you know about programming.. but IMO - I believe open-source is admirable, and holds a higher possibility for security in terms of transparency, However I think its more of a false-sense of security. Closed-source apps Have just as much potential if not more to be secure and honest, its just you don't know because its not open. It all depends the Compedency of the Developer or Development Team.. Just cause its open source doesn't mean its more compedent... You may also come to realize theres not many compedent 'arm-chair developers' out there actively reviewing all open-source code, so.... just like Closed srouce, Some open source will be well polished and some won't. I tend to judge an app on the installation options and its choice of language or exacution it forces you to run under apposed to what it actually needs to do. . . and going forward I fear opensource will become less and less inhearently compedent/secure, seeing as all the kids these days are on drugs and all sorts of behavoral/mental issues... I'll cut this part of my comment short so i don't need to sensor myself, but in short... theres going to be a lot more F'd up ppl in the world after these kids grow up, and more and more of them will also be doing computer work, so yea.. do the math.

thanks for the info! btw i do some web development