Do I need a Graphics Card?

buff

Hi all,

Wondered if someone could help?

I have built a couple of HTPCs over the past few years, always with the focus on playing movies/music etc... and therefore a dedicated graphics card hasn't been needed. Now that I'm getting into emulation - everything from early arcade games, through ZX Spectrum, N64, PS1 and now PS2 - I'm wondering if having one will improve things.

My current spec is as follows;

Asus P8H77-M Pro Motherboard
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30ghz using onboard graphics
8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM
Windows 8.1 64bit

So, most systems seem to run games absolutely fine, but obviously as they get newer it gets a bit hit and miss - Playstation 1, N64 and Gamecube (so far) roms are all fine and I'm amazed how good some PS2 games play (using PCSX2) - some however aren't so great; Gran Turismo 4, Killzone, Black, MGS3 etc...

I haven't really played around with the plugin settings as yet, but wondered if getting a dedicated graphics card would be a good step forward, or with the above specs am I never going to be able to play these types of games that well? I realise there are possible issues/setups with individual games, just thinking generally for PS2 games really.

If a graphics card would be a good upgrade, what would you guys recommend?

Many thanks

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Yes you need a card, Most of us pick ATI or NVIDIA. Once you pick the company you like you just decided what you want to pay. For emulation you dont need SLI its a waste, your only target is the CORE speed. IMO the 660 ti's are the best performers for Dolphin and PS2 for the money right now. You will get a lot of mixed options on this. The Video card is not the main ingredient for great emulation, CPU is and not muli cores! Most all emulators use one core, some 2 and Dolphin 3. May says leave on for the OS so at max 4 cores is all you will ever need. Memory over 2bg is pointless for emulation also.

NOTE: make sure your case has room for the card, they get very long... Also make sure your PSU can power it, you need to check the 12 volt rail, this is extremely important.