Emulator Problem: Configuring two USB NES Controllers

fdawsoniv

Hello. Apologies if this has been addressed, I looked through the stickies and did a search and didn't see it.

I have two USB NES controllers, and want to set them both up to allow two-player gaming. But so far, the second controller doesn't register. I know that both units work, it's just a matter of mapping them. I have tried FCEUX, NEStopia, and JNES. None worked. Help!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
There is no reason or tricks to make it work, going to need to know more? All of those emulators should work with two controllers. So to narrow this down pic one and show us a screen show of how its not working. If you can not upload screen shots just be more detailed. "Not working" is a bit unclear.

fdawsoniv

As I said, it doesn't register. I tell the emulator both ports are gamepads, go to the button mapping screen, and press each button in turn to map them. On FCEUX, the mapping seems to work. Then, when trying to play a game, controller 1 controls both players, and controller 2 does nothing. It is like it doesn't understand that I can have two identical controllers in different USB ports. On the other emulators, when I try to map controller 2, it doesn't even recognize the buttons when I press them to assign the mapping.

What, specifically, can I screenshot that will help? Alternatively, if anyone knows step by step instructions for how to set up two USB controllers on FCEUX, I can follow through that.

fdawsoniv

ulaoulao, you implied it should be possible. Would you mind giving me step by step instructions? The help file is useless and I cannot find anything online. Please help!

fdawsoniv

I followed your advice on that other thread about starting at zero and slowly working through each step. When I tried configuring again, I noticed something. With one controller in (which is how I set it up at first), it sees controller 1 as JS1. When I add a second one, it sees controller 2 as JS1. So that's how both were mapped the same. So I remapped players 1 and 2 after both controllers were plugged in and it worked no problem.:thumb_up: