Can I use a controller Pad to play MAME game?

reign80

I would like to use a Playstation 2 controller to play the MAME arcade game and was wondering if its compatible.

If I can what exactly do I need to do to set it up..thanks :)

reign80

Well looks like I found the answer to my original question but NOW for some reason my character kept spinning around on his own. I have no idea whats going on.

Is there a basic configuration to select when programming a controller pad so that it works the same for all game?

jv9

reign80 said:
Is there a basic configuration to select when programming a controller pad so that it works the same for all game?

In Mame32:
Press TAB button ingame and select input (general).

reign80

DO I change anything in the DIGITAL JOYSTICK AXIS box?

I did what you said but my character is always facing down. He would start out normal but when I move him, he would face backword.

hagbard

If you enabled joystick on the official command line Mame's ini file "mamename.ini" (Find the "Joystick" line and replace the "0" with "1") , or on the Mame32 & clones menu (check the "Enable joysticks" box on "Options" -> "Default game options" -> "Controllers" tab), the default input options should work.

Anyway, you might want to remap it as you prefer: To map Mame input "Up", press up on your jostick/gamepad, etc. If everthing gets messed, just delete the "gamename.cfg" on Mame "cfg" subfolder and "gamename.ini" on Mame32 "ini" subfolder.

Last edited:

reign80

Well everything is messed up..LOL.
I'm looking for the those file that you told me to delete but they are nowhere to be found.

hagbard

Those files will be created again by Mame whenever you start/config your game

reign80

You know how you press tab a menu comes up that lets you select Input (General) or Input (This Game). The funny thing is that I can no longer enter those menu because my "ENTER" button was not set to any button at all so I can't even enter into any of those menu.

WHY MUST I BE DAMN BY THIS..lol!!!