n64 emulation on the DS?

coleProtocol

Is it currently possible to emulate N64 ROMS on the Nintendo DS? I realize that there's not enough buttons, but a lot of games don't use all the buttons anyway -- and the SELECT button is something the N64 didn't have, so that's an extra right there.

I was just wondering about this, because I was looking forward to a lot of N64 recreations for the DS when it came out, but it looks like Nintendo has other plans. I would LOVE to have Ocarina of Time on the DS. I'm sure it's possible somehow; especially to the guys porting Linux to the DS. I'll try asking around on their forums.

hagbard

Not currently, and I'd say never. The NDS it's more powerfull than the N64, but would need to be much more to emulate a system like N64. Not even the PSX, if you ask me.

montpics

I still prefer to play it on PC rather than small sized monitor on Nintendo DS. :cool:

TheCreator

i had that problem with getting a 32x emulator for my 6600 phone. You could quite easily get decent looking 3D graphics on the phone with games such as Doom and Rally Pro on it working well, but as Doom was also a 32x game, I thought an emulator may be possible.

Simple answer is that the actual emulation takes a lot more processing power than the original console specs, because you have the emulator using processing power than a game running on top instead of just a game. A port would work out well (hence Super Mario 64 DS) but emulating needs more power.