Touchscreen controller plugin for Windows 8

pocket29

I recently picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro for a steal. It runs a desktop version of Windows 8.1 (32 bit), which means it runs the best desktop Playstation emulators we know and love! It is by no means a desktop (or even a laptop) replacement, but I have been impressed with its functionality! Particularly, it's ability to run a multitude of emulators has been very impressive, particularly ePSXe and PCSX2 - that is, so long as I have a keyboard.

I have scoured the internet and found no touchscreen controller plugins for either ps1 or ps2 emulators, or any other emulators for that matter. Does anyone know of any developer out there working on a ps1 or ps2 plugin for a touchscreen controller? I know that desktop plugins have been adapted to android platforms - perhaps an android touchscreen controller could be adapted to Windows?

There are Playstation emulators for both android and apple, but none that rival the desktop programs we love best for quality and programmability. I hope, as Windows tablets penetrate the market further, that we see a touchscreen controller soon! Because needing a keyboard significantly hurts the mobility of an otherwise great emulator platform!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You will not see that for any emulation that requires a controller ( accept dolphin ). Most emulator authors try to work on emulation and not what people want. To put it simple this would be considered a ridicules notion. Dolphin on the other had seems to do anything people ask, where possible. They also have 200+ developers where most emulators have 1 - 4.

One exception are emulators designed for android and the likes, as that is sort of the main interface. It is vary likely you will see these emulators porting to win8. Your just a bit early.

Also, you most likely will see this for touch screen consoles in the future.

Johno2518

While most PC emulators will run in desktop mode for Win8, they will still run. Ulaoulao, when you say port to Win8, I assume you mean as a Windows Store App? If so, there are some emulators that have emerged as a Windows Store app which provide the touch screen functionality.

I don't know if PS1/PS2 is available yet, just the older generation so far (Gameboy, NES/SNES etc.). I would think that more will popup later this year as touch for Windows Phone/Desktop becomes more popular.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I would think that more will popup later this year as touch for Windows Phone/Desktop becomes more popular.
Right, basically my point. I'm also not surprises some exist but I would not know unless I saw it talked about. I have 0 interest in the touch paradigm switch Windows made. I think they will put up a fight but Apple and Android have taken over that market quite well. Its time, M$ has a seat. Dont get me wrong I wish them well in the venture but they are killing a good desktop OS for a shoty touch screen replacement. Sorry for the mini rant.

Johno2518

Its all good, I think though with subsequent updates MS will do what they do best. Make it better than before and better than the other devices. That is something they have always been good at. I have no doubt MS will become a leader, it may take some time but they will come up with something brilliant.

They actually listen to customers (more than they used to) which is more than I can say for Apple haha.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You mean like the repetitive WinCE failed devices LOL. Windows has always had one thing, the majority. They are now boxing in the ring with successful products, its not going to be easy for them, well just have to see.

Johno2518

Lol they were ahead of their time hahaha. True, but since they are aligning their technology streams are everything just works between products I think they will get there. We shall see though!