Are there any groups out there working towards a PS3 emulator?

Merix

With hardware vastly outclassing the hardware in a PS3 now and the next generation of consoles coming up there are a few games on PS3 I would like to try. Are there any groups out there working on or close to a PS3 emulator?

Also, before you start saying PC hardware isn't up to it, my PC specs are over double that of a PS4. I know their hardware interacts differently, but don't give me that.

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Did you check our ps3 emulator section?
http://emulator-zone.com/doc.php/playstation3/

Second, again, another miss-informed individual. Please read this. This way you won't have to make an ass of yourself as he already did that for you. Disclaimer, nothing personal, we get this all the time.

Also this is worth a reading.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/1/

If like many, you choose not to read it, then understand this. There is a lot more to emulating then just the core CPU. So much more that you effectively need to multiple the chip speed your emulating by 3. You could easily need to do this for 100 chips in low level emulation and maybe ( if your are lucky ) 5 or 10 in High level.

Last edited:

Mastap14

But remember what ulaoulao said really only applies to consoles not running the same architecture as your PC, thus it has to emulate the instructions into something your PC can read. But since the PS4 and XboxOne uses the X86 architecture that your PC uses it will be a lot easier to make and use then past consoles. Its more akin to using another OS like OSX on a windows PC. So what I'm saying is that you will probably get a PS4/Xbone emulator before getting a perfect PS3/Xbox360 emulator. So the first emulators will probably be something like an OS you install rather then a program you start up.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
True but the first xbox was also x86 and we all know how well that worked in emulations favor. The CPU really in the end has little to do with emulation.

A ps3 on the other hand is most probable as we have seen a psx/ps2 emulator already. The ps4 is also more likely then a xbox one. Now that said, forget about playable. Emulation is about emulating not playing. After all there is a sp3 emulator out so that does prove my point. It does not do much but it is emulating ps3 hardware.

The idea of the OS or shell replacement for emulation will be highly unlikely for the obvious reasons ( debugging outside of a os and useless to most users ). I agree that it would help but again you are missing point of emulation. Emulating hardware starts a chip at a time not the full blown OS at once. To emulate a chip you will need an OS for debugging and researching. Though, for performance I could see an emulator get loaded as a replacement to the shell. Replacing the kernel I doubt we will ever see. Using BSD maybe...

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Well first off what does" done" mean? I think the current emulator will show some signs of life in the next 6 months. The current state of computers will not run anything playable though. If it follows the emulation paradigm the first playable game will be near 2020. This is around 15 frames constant 30 spike.

Last edited:

kindlermai

even if an emulator for ps3 is made soon it would take few more years to make it usable , like ps2 emulator , i used it when it was beta , not much you can do. But after few years it was rather good

x2ruff4u

I'm in the industry of architectural microprocessors. I believe we can utilize the hexagon(8 cores) to run a PS3/PS4 emulator. GTX 690 is a milestone in GPU graphics and we are already at the edge of meeting Broadwell and thus it's successor Skylake. 4K utilization is already here, but it lacks content. Do you know why graphics are developing so fast? 4K/Retina, Nvidia is already sticking their hands in every device. It's a whole market with little competition and so much profit. CPU is not a demand which hence develops much slower. A Core2Duo still stands till this day for demanding applications. It wouldn't surprise me if PS3 can be emulated on a tablet or mobile phone since the demand is so high for the next best phone; it would eventually surpass a desktop! Just wow!