Emulator Problem: Audio/menu problems with a few games in PCSX and more...

AE86Hems

Hi this is my first post,

I've recently been trying to emulate a few PSX games on PCSX and have encountered a few problems with some of them:

The first one I believe is a known problem where the PAL version Crash Bash will crash on the loading screen after the first cutscene in "Adventure Mode" I just wondered if there was a fix for this or a workaround? (Also when using the US version the pause menu is invisible in game?)

The second problem I have encountered in 2 different games so far (Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver & Jade Cocoon - Story of the Tamamayu) but the problem is exactly the same, during cutscenes the music is completely fine but the speech is very loud and distorted.

The third problem I've encountered was the menus in Driver 2 glitching out as soon as you press a directional button which makes it pretty hard to see what game mode you are selecting (Could this be because it is a 2 disc game? This happened on disc 1, Disc 2 doesn't load as I believe you have to swap in game)

The fourth problem I have is in F1 2001, everything works fine in the menus and I can start a race but as soon as the lights go off for the cars to go nothing happens. All cars are just sat on the grid, I can steer and change view and do everything apart from move.

My final problem is that the Italian job doesn't run at all, PCSX goes to the screen it always does before a game starts but it just hangs there. The game came in a couple of separate parts so I used unpakkiso to convert it all to .bin files, added the cue to that and then used imgburn to create just one .bin and .cue to run the game from.

All of the games here are the PAL versions and apart from Crash Bash I have not tried any other region versions.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

-EDIT In F1 2001 I tried a different game mode and there were grey boxes above the other cars and the race started and some very glitchy movement occurred and I wasn't really controlling the car at all and only the cars in front of me moved but they did not keep moving once I stopped. The audio problem I described as problem 2 was also found in this game in the commentary. Just thought I'd add this...

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
This may not be a total work around, but have you tried using ESPXE? PCSX is currently out of date, and ESPXE updated not too long ago. Maybe using ESPXE would yield better results? Also, what Graphics plugin are you using?

AE86Hems

This may not be a total work around, but have you tried using ESPXE? PCSX is currently out of date, and ESPXE updated not too long ago. Maybe using ESPXE would yield better results? Also, what Graphics plugin are you using?

I'll give EPSXE a try. PCSX says P.E.Op.S. OpenGL Driver 1.78 as my graphics plugin.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
I use Pete's OpenGL driver 1.76, and never really gives me problems. If I remember correctly, P.e.op.s was a collaboration plugin. Lemme give you a screenie for MY settings:
Untitled-2_zpsf604d9ab.png

Also, I use Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 for my audio.