PDA

View Full Version : is there any unix/linux users??

LoGoS_dArK
January 25th, 2005, 19:38
im droppin my old ghetto ms-dos for a backround unix format........right now i got a duel hd system........i run win98SE on my 40G & linux on my other 40G........im wonderin if there's anyone else uses unix as a background format system or linux as there primary os??

montpics
January 26th, 2005, 11:40
I do. Using Win98, WinXP and Mandrake 10.0 on my single PC. :)

LoGoS_dArK
January 26th, 2005, 18:23
okay, cool, how big is your hd, for all of them os's??

montpics
January 27th, 2005, 11:22
Two hard disk, 40GB for each. 10GB for Win98, 20GB for WinXP and 10GB for Mandrake. Others can be shared one another. :)

Now, I reconsider install another OS once I had a new hard disk in future. Or, probably not.

LoGoS_dArK
January 28th, 2005, 18:56
nice, well right now i got 2 internal hd's that are 40G each..........and one more that is a 180G external hd.........too much room for me, im like a kid in a candy shop, i got all of this room and i got all of this stuff that i wanna put in it, im having fun!! :D

montpics
January 29th, 2005, 12:03
Hmmm, just wish I had enough space on my precious hard disks. Gets full easily every day and I had to burn it into a CD. Ah well...... :rolleyes:

Jale
January 29th, 2005, 15:15
I need a 120 GB Hard Disk right now :(

LoGoS_dArK
January 29th, 2005, 15:27
you can pick up a 180G hd for like $89 at walmart right now, thats dirt cheap!!

Jale
January 29th, 2005, 15:42
Yes, but I don't have $'s, I have Bs.

LoGoS_dArK
January 29th, 2005, 15:44
well, me too, but i just used some of my student loans to draw out a in-direct loan to get some more cash for my comp!!

Jale
January 29th, 2005, 16:06
Say, I really have never seen Linux. How is it?

LoGoS_dArK
January 29th, 2005, 16:11
okay, if youve never seen it before, it might sound a bit weird or hard to use......some people think off the bat that they are intiminated by it, but it really is easy to use..........its set up a little bit like ms-dos, without the black background, want i mean is that it a operating system that runs on complete text proccessing.........you know on windows where you can go to the run option, to define exactly where you want to go, well linux is set up exactly like that all of the time........once you get used to it, it is very easy to use, it just isnt as user friendly as windows is setup, thats why most people tend to shy a way from it & use windows instead.......i hope that, that help you understand it a little better!!

Jale
January 29th, 2005, 16:20
Yeah, I got it... Command lines...

LoGoS_dArK
January 29th, 2005, 16:27
yep, have you ever used unix before, unix is the basis operatoring system for all of the OS's that we have now, it was started in the early 70's........after that had made it, into a real OS, they came out with Linux for a user friendly OS for business owners in the big business world...........but when mac & windows came in, they were a lot more user friendly then anyone had ever seen, so people just quit usin linux all together, but with all of the security leaks in mac &
windows, linux is a more sercure OS to use!!

nesman
January 29th, 2005, 17:40
There are only 6 known viruses for Mac...so don't put Mac down like that. And security leaks? So far I've haven't heard of any security leaks for Mac. So I don't know why you put Mac where Windows is :glare:

LoGoS_dArK
February 1st, 2005, 11:49
calm down, compared to linux which doesnt have any leaks at all, six is alot, but i know what you mean by me puttin mac next to windows in that catagory, but i was try to make a point to why people left linux in the first place and why they should come back now, thats all!!

Jet Set Willy
February 1st, 2005, 20:39
calm down, compared to linux which doesnt have any leaks at all, six is alot, but i know what you mean by me puttin mac next to windows in that catagory, but i was try to make a point to why people left linux in the first place and why they should come back now, thats all!!

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Linux doesn't have any leaks at all? Oh. Okay. So the mass of root exploits don't exist? There are no buffer overflows? People never need to install security updates? Riiight.

Listen Buster. Most of Linux and its applications are written in C. C is drastically prone to buffer overflow exploits, and so is Linux. Almost every application written for the OS can potentially be remotely exploited. A Linux installation 1 year out of date will have many programs and services installed by default with known weaknesses which can easily be exploited, giving the attacker root access to the machine.

Security comes through intelligence, good management and knowledge. You couldn't secure a chastity belt on a fat chick in Fort Knox.

Jale
February 1st, 2005, 20:52
Would you mind to calm down lad? You are only making problem here, just take your time to relax. Maybe you met LoGoS somewhere, but this is not the boxing ring :glare:

RockY
February 1st, 2005, 21:12
I see no problems here, it's true... buffer overflows that are part of some applications that run on the Linux platform may not get the same attention as the Windows ones, but they exists and not to mention that those are dangerous too.

Jale
February 1st, 2005, 21:16
I see no problems here, it's true... buffer overflows that are part of some applications that run on the Linux platform may not get the same attention as the Windows ones, but they exists and not to mention that those are dangerous too.
I know it's true but that's not the way to treat people.

RockY
February 1st, 2005, 21:19
We appreciate your concerns, but if LoGoS_dArK feels attacked, he can contact any Mod-Admin so we could analyze the situation.

Jet Set Willy
February 1st, 2005, 21:20
You're not supposed to correct people? Do you go through life in a fuzzy haze of ignorance, JAPPsmash?

Lefteris_D
February 1st, 2005, 21:21
You're not supposed to correct people? Do you go through life in a fuzzy haze of ignorance, JAPPsmash?
"God" has been banned for violating the rule regarding multiple accounts. Please use your main account.

Jale
February 1st, 2005, 21:23
:confused: ??? So this guy has another account? Who is??? At least wrote my nick well...

Lefteris_D
February 1st, 2005, 21:35
Let it be, ok? It's not worth it.

Jale
February 1st, 2005, 21:40
OK, let's say that nothing has happened. Let's get back on topic :)

Lefteris_D
February 1st, 2005, 21:42
An operating system's security depends on the skills of the system admin. If he is keen on applying the latest bugfixes and applies a good security policy everything will be fine.

Jale
February 1st, 2005, 21:47
Just like me. I'm always downloading the latest security stuff. I felt free to try the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta and it works really fine :)

LoGoS_dArK
February 1st, 2005, 21:57
yeah, thats a enough to just piss me off in the morning to read, maybe if he would have read the other posts prior to that, he might of gottin a better understanding of what i meant!!

Fable
February 4th, 2005, 04:13
good job. logos dark. now back on topic....

montpics
February 4th, 2005, 15:51
Linux is pretty hard to be understand at the beginning and now it is now trying to be more user-friendly with the GUI interface and dos-like command. :cool:

So far, not much with the Linux as I am pretty used to WindowsXP. One thing is certain Linux is getting better and better. ;)

Jale
February 4th, 2005, 16:18
Linux is pretty hard to be understand at the beginning and now it is now trying to be more user-friendly with the GUI interface and dos-like command. :cool:

So far, not much with the Linux as I am pretty used to WindowsXP. One thing is certain Linux is getting better and better. ;)
So, if I want to install Linux on my PC, can I have both Windows XP and Linux?

montpics
February 4th, 2005, 16:45
It can, just like mine with 3 OS'es. ;)

Or if you don't want to install it right away you can find some Linux magazines with distros than can let you boot directly with linux without installing it. :)

Danny
February 4th, 2005, 17:28
Yeah, try Knoppix.

http://www.knoppix.org/

LoGoS_dArK
February 8th, 2005, 07:43
yeah, i havent used that one before danny, but i got a bootable linux 3 disc set, thats called linux redhat, i cant remember the version on it, but you can download it for free, i think its bout 650mb per disc, you should try it out japp, its not bad!! ;)

montpics
February 8th, 2005, 12:18
But funny as it seemed a little bit hard to configure the video setting as I really don't know how every time I try to install Red Hat. :rolleyes:
Used Mandrake just for beginners instead of Red Hat. :cool:

Jale
February 8th, 2005, 16:06
yeah, i havent used that one before danny, but i got a bootable linux 3 disc set, thats called linux redhat, i cant remember the version on it, but you can download it for free, i think its bout 650mb per disc, you should try it out japp, its not bad!! ;)
Yes, I'll try...

LoGoS_dArK
February 9th, 2005, 07:35
But funny as it seemed a little bit hard to configure the video setting as I really don't know how every time I try to install Red Hat. :rolleyes:
Used Mandrake just for beginners instead of Red Hat. :cool:

your right, i didnt think of that, yeah go with mandrake, but i dont the address off hand to find that, but im sure you can find it!!

thunder_184
October 10th, 2006, 02:01
okay, :excl: ((I NEED HELP)):excl: okay lets see. I need help because I despretly need to know WHAT THE **** IS UNIX AND LINUX

any good links in minde to help me out

(PS: I am super new at computers and If any one could give me there email so I can ask them questions it would be a blessing)

mhl12
October 10th, 2006, 03:56
please dont dig up old threads.

linux is just another operating system like Windows XP or Mac OSX. However, most linux versions are open source (meaning that anyone can edit/customize it anyway they want) and are free (as in no money).

you can read a lot more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

alcoatjez
October 10th, 2006, 08:50
okay, :excl: ((I NEED HELP)):excl: okay lets see. I need help because I despretly need to know WHAT THE **** IS UNIX AND LINUX

any good links in minde to help me out

(PS: I am super new at computers and If any one could give me there email so I can ask them questions it would be a blessing)

A Google search would have given you the answer in less than a second :rolleyes:

thunder_184
October 11th, 2006, 01:05
okay, I seached in google found some good stuff, but I have a WinXP and I don't what the rest of my accountes to have linux (and how do I get both WinXP and linux at the same time anyways)

mhl12
October 11th, 2006, 03:00
there's is something called dual booting linux, which is basically partitioning your harddrive into to drives and installing linux on one and keeping windows on the other.

If you're interested in linux, you should really be somewhat familiar with computer basics such as knowing how to set your BIOS to boot off the cd.

This is a guide to dual boot ubuntu linux with xp: http://www.crhc.uiuc.edu/~mjmille2/howtos/dual-boot-linux-and-windows/

also, not that linux heavily uses the command line.. so all that coded stuff, you'll have to learn. If you're not up for it, I would not recommend linux.

thunder_184
October 11th, 2006, 21:11
Thank, that really help.:D

mhl12
October 12th, 2006, 04:15
no problem :)

also, i noticed i had a few typos that kinda made my previous post hard to read. I can't edit it anymore.

"your harddrive into two drives."

"also, note that linux heavily uses the command line"

thunder_184
October 15th, 2006, 22:24
eh...dose this guide work for a PC, because the guide you gave me was for toshiba Labtop???:msn_confu

mhl12
October 15th, 2006, 23:52
ya... i would probably um.. not install linux at the moment if i were you. No offense but definitely be A LOT more familiar with computers if you want to learn how to run linux.

toshiba laptop is a computer brand which is essentially a PC (aka Personal Computer)

thunder_184
October 16th, 2006, 00:01
kk thank, but eh...I have no were to go to learn about computers (I am the only one in my entourage that know about com.):confused:

thunder_184
October 16th, 2006, 00:04
ya... i would probably um.. not install linux at the moment if i were you. No offense but definitely be A LOT more familiar with computers if you want to learn how to run linux.

toshiba laptop is a computer brand which is essentially a PC (aka Personal Computer)

oups, I fergot the meaning of PC, what I meant is for a no-mobile computer

mhl12
October 16th, 2006, 00:20
oh ok.. it's still all the same.

thunder_184
October 16th, 2006, 01:45
oh ok.. it's still all the same.

huf, now I fell stupide:glare:
And by the way I am only 13:D