Emulator Problem: Frameskipping in FF9 won't work during combat

Netheous

So I am playing FF9 again and I just hold SPACE to quickly move throught the game, skip talking and stuff.
But the problem is that I wanted to do few quick battles to quickly lvl up, but when I hold SPACE and the battle begins, my FPS is stuck at 60, so its at the regular speed all the time.

I am using these plugins:
Graphics plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
Sound plugin: P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and knows how to fix it, thanks in advance.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
What emulator are you using? Also, have you tried using Pete's Dx6 1.76 to play this game? In each of of petes graphics plugins, there is generally a frameskip shortcut button, are you using that as a frameskip? It is usually best straight from the graphics plugin itself.

Netheous

I asigned frameskipping to SPACE on my keyboard and it works just fine, but when the battle starts it doesn't work at all.
Also I am using ePSXe 1.7

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
You've probably already tried this, but have you tried checking to see if there was a certain setting preventing you from speeding through battles, like a certain syncing option?

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
sometimes there are options where you would sync audio with the video, making frame skipping redundant, I would try clicking the button "Fast" under the graphics plugin and see what happens. If none of that works, I would trying using an emulator called pSX 1.13, it never failed me as far as frame skipping goes.

Netheous

sometimes there are options where you would sync audio with the video, making frame skipping redundant, I would try clicking the button "Fast" under the graphics plugin and see what happens. If none of that works, I would trying using an emulator called pSX 1.13, it never failed me as far as frame skipping goes.
Also right now I am having like 30-40 FPS in the fields (world map)

@Edit: I tried in fast mode, it still doesnt work, I'll try with different sound plugin or check its options

Last edited:

Netheous

I tried with "Fast" option, but it's just the same.
Also I have like 30-40 FPS in fields (world map), strange fps drop

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Yeah, try the one that I recommended, It might work better. Ive always had trouble with the OpenGL plugins anyway.

Netheous

Yeah, try the one that I recommended, It might work better. Ive always had trouble with the OpenGL plugins anyway.

I fixed FPS drop, it was just Steam updating in the background lagging my PC off, but that Frameskipping, I have no clue how to fix it.

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Well, you got me stumped! Ive never had problems with frameskipping in ESPXE, have you tried using pSX 1.13 yet? None of the graphics are high-res, but it works smoothly and fast.

Netheous

Well, you got me stumped! Ive never had problems with frameskipping in ESPXE, have you tried using pSX 1.13 yet? None of the graphics are high-res, but it works smoothly and fast.

Well, I never had frameskipping issues either while using ePSXe, strange thing is that I can use it at all times, but not when the fight menu appears

@Edit: OMG, I also clicked X to hide battle menu and frameskipping suddenly worked :O, but only when battle menu is hidden

Last edited:

Mupen64 Man

Big fan of Mupen64
Staff member
Well, I never had frameskipping issues either while using ePSXe, strange thing is that I can use it at all times, but not when the fight menu appears

@Edit: OMG, I also clicked X to hide battle menu and frameskipping suddenly worked :O, but only when battle menu is hidden
Welp, I guess that works! XD