Game Problem: Trouble with Pokemon Crystal Rom

Clarance

So. There is a rom on a certain cite that, when I download it and try to play in on my emulator, it doesn't work. I'm not an expert with computer language, but it's an exe type file. I understand it needs to be gb, gba, or gbc to work of VisualBoyAdvance, but I need help on how to change it to that.

I made a folder on my desktop called Emulation, and inside that is a folder called Visual GameBoy with both the emulator and the rom. This helps make the path easier, right?

I'm just very confused on why it won't work.

When I drag the file into the VBA (VisualBoyAdvance) file, it gives me this windows popup error message:
C:\Users\Cameron\Desktop\Emulation\Gameboy\Brothersoftdownloader_for_Pokemon_Crystal_version_for_GBC.exe.

Should I just try to find a better rom? I hate having to download stuff of random sites, so I'd really rather try to fix this problem than find another rom. Of course, if this problem is unfixable, then I'll look for a different one.

Thanks!

Edit: When I change the file type by simply renaming it with the ending ".gb" or ".gbc" it doesn't give me the error message any more, but all it shows it a blank white screen on the emulator.

Last edited:

Robert

The only valid exe roms are homebrews for psx emulators. Do NOT play around with exes for other systems, i've seen that kind of scam myself, they are probably trojans. Go to another rom site.

CullenVampire

Hello Clarance,
Sometime last week I was able to download a perfectly working Crystal rom at a place called Coolroms.
Not every website providing ROMs will be providing working ones but there is always other places to look. I just google "Pokemon Roms" and it comes up with plenty of good places to get plenty of working Roms. Coolroms is from my experience one of the best out there, they have a very wide selection.

lizziebeesy

Speaking of crystal rom, I was looking online and found this site called playr where you can play old games. I found pokemon crystal and was wondering if it's possible you can turn that online game into a rom and use it on an emulator? I have a mac btw if that makes a difference.

jbone1337

So. There is a rom on a certain cite that, when I download it and try to play in on my emulator, it doesn't work. I'm not an expert with computer language, but it's an exe type file. I understand it needs to be gb, gba, or gbc to work of VisualBoyAdvance, but I need help on how to change it to that.

I made a folder on my desktop called Emulation, and inside that is a folder called Visual GameBoy with both the emulator and the rom. This helps make the path easier, right?

I'm just very confused on why it won't work.

When I drag the file into the VBA (VisualBoyAdvance) file, it gives me this windows popup error message:
C:\Users\Cameron\Desktop\Emulation\Gameboy\Brothersoftdownloader_for_Pokemon_Crystal_version_for_GBC.exe.

Should I just try to find a better rom? I hate having to download stuff of random sites, so I'd really rather try to fix this problem than find another rom. Of course, if this problem is unfixable, then I'll look for a different one.

Thanks!

Edit: When I change the file type by simply renaming it with the ending ".gb" or ".gbc" it doesn't give me the error message any more, but all it shows it a blank white screen on the emulator.

I would highly recommend you stay far away from the site you go that rom from. It should NOT be a .exe
That sounds like some kind of malware/virus to me.

Just google for a place for roms.
"game name rom" or "system roms"
just replace game name with the name of the game, and system with the name of the system.
examples:
"pokemon crystal rom" or "gba roms"

Speaking of crystal rom, I was looking online and found this site called playr where you can play old games. I found pokemon crystal and was wondering if it's possible you can turn that online game into a rom and use it on an emulator? I have a mac btw if that makes a difference.

they have a gba emulator for like every OS, even iphone/andriod lol. also you can get the rom in lots of places, why would you want to try and rip it from an online flash game?