Old school shoot-em-ups

Mr Thunderwing

Were the arcade versions of these games a lot harder than the home versions (in order to keep a steady supply of 10 pence pieces flowing into them)? I've been playing some R-Type today and, man, it feels a lot more difficult than I remember. I used to have the Sega Mastersystem version back in the day and I could normally get to the 7th level without too much difficulty. Just trying to get past the third stage on the arcade version feels like a task of almost herculean difficulty at the moment (I had to turn it off or I would've ended up putting my fist through my monitor in anger!). Similarily I can remember completeing Truxton on the Megadrive without too much trouble, but this arcade version feels about ten times harder - it's just bullet overload in places (and the smart bombs are definetly weaker).

Is it just that now I'm in my thirties my reflexes aren't what they were when I was a teenage or were the arcade counterparts just seriously impossible?

Avinitlarge

Turbo Boost Me!
Were the arcade versions of these games a lot harder than the home versions (in order to keep a steady supply of 10 pence pieces flowing into them)? I've been playing some R-Type today and, man, it feels a lot more difficult than I remember. I used to have the Sega Mastersystem version back in the day and I could normally get to the 7th level without too much difficulty. Just trying to get past the third stage on the arcade version feels like a task of almost herculean difficulty at the moment (I had to turn it off or I would've ended up putting my fist through my monitor in anger!). Similarily I can remember completeing Truxton on the Megadrive without too much trouble, but this arcade version feels about ten times harder - it's just bullet overload in places (and the smart bombs are definetly weaker).

Is it just that now I'm in my thirties my reflexes aren't what they were when I was a teenage or were the arcade counterparts just seriously impossible?

I used to play R-Type in my late teens in the arcade. I used to play for ages before running out of lives. Ive played it since and struggle to get to level 3 too. I am now in my 30's too, I recon we are just getting old and decrepid.:p

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
Were the arcade versions of these games a lot harder than the home versions
- I know that most difficulty levels were higher. I used to try beating this guy in Street fighter when I was 15 or so, he always handed my ass to me. Then one day I met him at his place of work and saw that they had a street fighter arcade in house. So I gave it a try and noticed its way harder then my nes version. So getting back home I bumped up the level till it matched. I think it was 0-7( harder) and found 5-7 closer to the arcade, and from what I remember the default was 3.

Another I remember was RAGE, I could not get passed one dude, but playing it on a console was a lot easier. And I will never forget supper contra. I remember thinking, S contra? .. heck I got this... I own contra.. Yahh... um that lasted long, never saw 3 men die so fast.

I also know from mame, that the arcade owner can set these levels. So I would say there is something to it.

Last edited: