nemulator 2.0

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
I've seen that front-end before although it was launching Mame games at the time. It might have been on one of those multi-rom boards actually, was a few years back now.

Its nice as a show case FE if you're only going to have a few roms on there, but as a day to day FE for anyone with a lot of games it would be a pain to browse. Using the emumovies avi's you can have the moving video's instead of screenshots with most FE's anyway.
Personally if you're looking for something flash, Hyperspin is probably the best one out there at the moment. Seriously sexy looking FE although again, its a bit cumbersome for everday use.

james

Just to clarify this a bit -- this is not a front-end, per se (the front-end is an integral part of the emulator). All of the games are being emulated in real-time; they're not videos.

And I don't think you've seen it before -- I'm the author and just developed it :)

re: Hyperspin -- first time I've seen it. Very sexy, indeed.

http://nemulator.com

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Sorry, looked like a Front-End, there's a Mame Front-End that has virtually the same effect, with games selected from an array of boxes with screenshots which animate an avi movie when scrolled over.

Just as a matter of interest, is it not very processor intensive having so many games actively running at once?. Just seems a strange way to go about it, particularly if someone was set up with a lot of roms. Would be genuinely interested to know why you decided to do it that way, is there some benefit or advantage over the use of AVI's?.

Hyperspin is very cool, but also very top heavy. Like I said its got to be the most impressive multi-system FE out there, but its a bit too clunky for everyday use. Kicks arse when you want to impress people with your setup though.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Actually bearing in mind what you said I can see the appeal in your FE to people who don't want the messing about setting up a seperate front-end and sourcing all the supplementary snaps etc. Its a good all in one download solution.

What's the compatiblility and emulation speed like?, and can it be launched from the commandline as well as from the GUI?. Good to see new things are still coming through though. You can never have too many new emulators to try.

Last edited:

james

>>Sorry, looked like a Front-End
no prob. at all. I wasn't very descriptive :)

re: CPU utilization. It is fairly CPU intensive. At most, 31 games will be visible at a time (28 in the main panel, 7 in the favorites, and up to 3 while scrolling). My PC, a 3.0GHz Core 2 Duo w/ Nvidia 8700 GTX, runs it at about 110-120 fps w/ 70% CPU utilization. My laptop, a 1.06GHz Core 2 Duo, w/ Intel GMA 950, only manages about 12 fps (in-game, it runs at full speed, of course). It is multi-threaded and will take advantage (and requires, I suppose) multiple cores/CPUs.

re: Compatibility. nemulator performs scanline-based emulation, so a couple of games do have glitches (marble madness is the classic example of a game which requires more accurate -- and slower -- per-pixel emulation). My focus is on support for games released in North America, so most of those work. Support for foreign/bootleg games isn't a priority (some work, many don't). Oh, and single games can be launched from the command line.

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned the ease of setup compared to a separate front-end. Though, to be honest, that's not really what drove development of this. I've been working on this emulator for years now and it's always kind of been a test bed for ideas and programming techniques. I think optimization led to a test to see how many games I could emulate at once, and then it just kind of evolved into this.

I should mention one more aspect of nemulator that I think is unique. All emulators need to solve the problem of syncing audio and video. Most emulators handle this by locking the frame rate to the audio rate. Since this invariably doesn't match the vertical refresh rate of the display, it leads to video artifacts -- either tearing or jerky scrolling. This really kills gameplay for me. If you just lock to the refresh rate (i.e., vsync), then you'll have audio glitches because you're writing to the sound buffer too slow or too fast. I handle this by syncing to the display's refresh rate then dynamically adjusting the audio frequency to keep everything in sync. This is turning into a long-winded explanation, but the end-result is silky-smooth gameplay.