first time user, help with FF8 pc

syuvial

insert krappy title here
i downloaded FF8 for my laptop as well as a program called powerISO, i mounted the .daa file with powerISO, and the install disc ran fine. when i start the file however, and select new game, it tells me to insert disc one.

i got instructions elsewhere online, that told me to go into regedit and change the location of the data drive to whatever virtual drive i had installed that disc on, and then continue with the game. but when i do that and go back into the game it just tells me wrong disc like it did before.

im sorry if this is a stupid mistake, but this is my first time doing anything like this, and the only reason i am is because my copy of the actual game broke.

syuvial

insert krappy title here
okay, im gonna be a little bit more specific:

What i have is five .daa files of final fantasy VIII for the PC and a program called powerISO.

i mounted the install disc and ran the installation program, and it made a shortcut and the .exe to run the game. when i click on that it loads the starting screen where you select new load or options. when i select new it tells me to insert disc one. this is where it gets confusing.

i was told on another forum that to change games i had to use ctrl+alt+del to exit the window without closing it, go into regedit and change the "data drive" to the name of the virtual drive that powerISO had created that i had the disc installed on.

i mounted FF8 disc 1 on the virtual drive [f] and went into regedit to change the data drive accordingly. whan i returned to the game and indicated that i had inserted the disc, it came up with the error message "warning, wrong disc" but it was the actual games warning message, not the computers so i dont think that its an error with the actual files, i think im doing something wrong.

btw i do have an old copy of the games, and once i get disc one to work and beat it, i wont need the other ones, but theres and obscene crack in my disc one T_T

Jale

That's why I hate working with crappy formats such as .daa. I've been having trouble using PowerISO as a virtual drive. Many emulators I use virtual drives with won't recognize a PowerISO virtual drive, so I use Daemon-Tools instead. The big uh-oh here is that Daemon-Tols doesn't support .daa images and that's why I call it a crappy format.

You can do the following:

• Format conversion. Use Alcohol 120% or PowerISO itself to create a CD image with another format supported by Daemon-Tools. I don't know this, but if Alcohol 120% supports .daa format, use Alcohol 120%'s virtual drive instead.
  • Burn the images. Burn them into CD-ROM and use your actual CD/DVD drive. Skip this one if you don't have a CD/DVD recorder.
Consider uninstalling and reinstalling the game after doing any of the options above.

montpics

i downloaded FF8 for my laptop as well as a program called powerISO, i mounted the .daa file with powerISO, and the install disc ran fine. when i start the file however, and select new game, it tells me to insert disc one.
Actually the game only works if you insert the 'Disc' in the first CD drive to make it work. If you found your virtual drive lies in the second CD drive. (Let's say, E: while you real CD-ROM drive is D: ) The game itself reads the very first CD drive ( D: ), not the second one, even you insert the CD image in it.

To make it playable into your PC, there are three ways actually :
1. Try to disable the real CD-ROM drive ( D: ) and let the virtual drive available in the system.
2. Try to find a No-CD crack from elsewhere. (Recommended only if you have larger storage files)
3. Burn the CD as Butters mentioned.

Good luck! :)

syuvial

insert krappy title here
alright everyone, ive tried all of these things, and because of the system im working on none of that has been possible, but i HAVE found a way to do it.

what i did was borrow copies of the actual game, 4 dvd-Rs, alcohol120, and the ePSXe emulator.

using the dvd-r's, alcohol 120, and the original copies that i borrowed from a friend, i made copies of the disc images that wont work on a Console, but are read by the ePSXe, and then just used the discs like i would the originals.

now, i dont know if disc changing works like its supposed to yet, but ill find out soon enough, and whether it does or doesnt ill post here to let people know whether this method works or not.

Jale

There's a problem with disc changing in the PAL version, because I got that one and played it on the actual console and it kept telling me I've inserted the wrong disc. Also, there's a bug when fighting Ultimecia that crashes your game making it impossible to finish.

If you have this PAL version, avoid it at all costs and get the NTSC version instead.

Now about ePSXe's disk change, it works. I've done it with Final Fantasy IX.