TEST THREAD IGNORE

Ryanfaescotland

Hey I'm just trying to write a good copy n paste-able message to answer some of the most common questions/statements ie I'm new to emulation: why won't my game work, what's an emulator, what's a rom, where can I find them, how do they work.

I know it's rich, a new guy with about 20posts thinking he knows the most common first posts but I'd bet I'm right.

If any of the mods are against this idea please say so here or PM me and I will stop making it otherwise feel free to suggest anything to add/remove.

This is what I've got so far:

Welcome to the site. I'm new here aswell but have been playing with emulators for a while now. Hopefully some of the information below will help you. A lot of new comers seem to have little or no knowledge about emulators so I've wrote this post in the hope to clear up some matters.

First thing read the rules of the site because almost everyone makes the same mistakes when just starting on this forum and by reading the rules hopefully you won't.

Now some basics. An emulator is needed to play roms just like a console is needed to play games and exactly like playstation games need a playstation console, playstation roms need a playstation emulator. So that's how to think of things.

There are lot's of emulators out there and you may need to try a couple to find which works best with your computer, personally I use ePSXe for Playstation, ZSnes for Super Nintendo, Gens32 for Mega Drive and Speculator for Spectrum. Other emulators can be found easily through Google by using search terms such as "Playstation emulator" "Dreamcast emulator" "N64 emulator" and so on.

There are also lots of roms out there although they are a little harder to find. Think of roms as copies of games that can be held on your pc. Now much like copying DVDs and sharing them is illegal so to is copying games and sharing them and companies such as Nintendo have threated to shut down sites that do so hence why topics asking for links to games will be locked. However all is not lost, they do exist and there is thousands of them on the net and they really aren't that hard to find. Google-ing for them is a great place to start just use the same format as looking for emulators.

So once you have downloaded your emulator and your rom you then run the emulator and go to the menu and select 'open rom' or something similar and select the rom you have. If it doesn't work you should play with the settings of the emulator you have and keep trying. If it still doesn't work try a different emulator. If it still doesn't work try looking around emulator forums for compatibility lists. If it still doesn't work try Google-ing for help. Then if it still doesn't work try posting for help in the correct forum.

Hope this helped.

Last edited: