mame roms not working in new mame

xanaty

i have had 3 cds worth of various mame roms that i got a couple years ago and recently i downloaded the newest version of mame32 and i find that alot of the roms aren't working like they had so long ago. when i go to the audit part in mame, many times it says games like metal slug or marvel super heroes are missing files, but they worked fine on the mame that i used years ago. must i download new roms as these could be obsolete for some reason?

sonic springboard
some games reqire chd files but metal slug n that dont try an older version of mame maybe 106

Last edited:

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Yep, if they are a couple of years old, loads of them will be out of date and need updating to work with newer builds. Mame underwent some major changes at version 0.107 so anything prior to that will need loads of roms updated.

You can get older versions of Mame32 from here. If your set is about 2 years old try version somewhere between 0.95 and 0.103

As others have pointed out even with the correct Mame version for your romset games on systems like neogeo must have the bios rom as well as the game rom present in your rom folder. If you have put the entire set of 3 disks into the rom folder though you shouldn't have to worry as it will be in there somewhere.......probably.

Last edited:

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
It is possible some ROMs only need some renaming/rebuilding to work on the latest MAME. Use a ROMmanager, such as clrmame to do this.