phpbb or vbulletin3???

Jale

Both systems are really good, the one with most features is vBulletin (this forum), just that phpBB is free (at least the one I tried is) and vBulletin is not.

CubanLinx2

Wu-Head
thanks guys, but what about using free online forums like InvisionFree (Free message board hosting), ipbfree.com or proboards (which totally sucks). i think its the same just that with free, they do everything for you.

Jale

The only problem is that free boards won't let you do backups and they lack of features.

CubanLinx2

Wu-Head
oh tell me about it damn im using proboards right now and it sucks really bad so i decided to switch to phpbb or some other professional board but cant anymore because im having problems with hosting the forum on a free web hosting server with mySQL and database, plus moding one of those boards takes forever.

Jale

By the way, there's a bug with the latest version of phpBB. I think they fixed it.

CubanLinx2

Wu-Head
screw phpbb or vbulletin, you can do so much with ipbfree.com boards aka invisionboard. its not even funny.

Famig

thanks guys, but what about using free online forums like InvisionFree (Free message board hosting), ipbfree.com or proboards (which totally sucks). i think its the same just that with free, they do everything for you.

InvisionFree is going out of date--you might want to try Forumotion.com instead. They generally look nicer and are easier to use.

Touko White

I'm cute, aren't I?
hanks guys, but what about using free online forums like InvisionFree (Free message board hosting), ipbfree
I first learnt forum moderation using a free forum maker, while they're good you don't have direct database access, FTP, etc...

If you want to get your community to properly grow, you should choose a good host which has an automatic installer, or you can install the package yourself. One free service I recommend (which is around a month old) is InfinityFree.net which is actually owned by someone from a forum I'm active on, it allows you to install phpBB, MyBB, SMF, AEF, XMB, etc. quickly and simply.

As for forum packages, vBulletin has been succeeded by XenForo somewhat, several of VB's developers are on XenForo and generally it is a more active project these days, although you're not able to run them on free hosts because they take up too much resources. If you're looking for a powerful free package, I recommend phpBB, it's flexible, fast, simple and advanced at the same time, although MyBB is easier to use.

~Cammy