Mortal Kombat

sonic springboard
hey guys i was wondering if anyone could drop me a bit of advice on this subject.
I got mk 1 for mame32 0.114 and as i very much expected it wouldnt be up to scratch but mame doesnt state that the drivers are imperfect for this rom but it runs as slow as hell and the sound is bad, i tryed using frame skipping and other versions of the rom and mame but it doesnt go much faster i checked maws and it said that the drivers are good for this game so my questions to you is

Is this game working correctly and its cos of my shit ass pc or is it broken?
Has any of you got this rom working well? Also its a longshot but if anyone knows of another emulator that runs the hardware for mk 1 itd be nice ta kno i doubt it though :(

bringing me to light on this subject is much appreciated guys thanks in advance ;)

omer

Neo Geo
I've just tried and it works perfectly on mame. ( I have mame 0.110 right now) I have rom named mk and it is 5.25 mb. What is your pc specs. I don't know if there is other emulator that runs that game but there are console versions of this game and they are not good as arcade version.

sonic springboard
Im not sure as to my pc specs but i would expect that it can run a game made in 92 lol! Its just that this is the only game i have that doesnt seem to work correctly What is the requirements for running mk? I have console versions but its true nothin beats the arcade version ill give mame 0.110 a go if i can find it somewhere i beleive i have the same rom though (mk mortal kombat rev 5.0 t unit ) 5.25 mb.

Zach

Well if you have an older slower PC then your specs could means a lot. MAME emulates things with accuracy in mind, and accuracy is not always fast; often sacrificing speed. I know a lot of the 3D Games from the 90's are a bit choppy and whatnot on my PC last time I tried them out. But at the same time I wouldn't expect that from MK

sonic springboard
I do kno that it makes much diffrence with a better pc i have figured out the problem though it would seem that mk doesnt run very well with mame 0.114 or even the new 0.115 it could be actually a problem im having wit the later mame releases. I tryed version 0.106 and would i be right in saying thats the one with advanced visual?? Anyways it does run a hell of a lot faster but its still not perfect the sound is choppy still and im not sure if the speed is accurate and this has happened with a few roms before for egsample i couldnt get spiderman,chase hq or violent storm to work at all with 0.114 or higher but with 0.106 just bump up the framskip to skip 7/12fps and these games work fine may not be perfect but much more playabe than in the later versions so can any of you sent me a link for 0.110? i cant actually find it anywhere lol. it wud be a great help cheers :)

Zach

If you can't find it chances are it's not online anymore. Or is on some very obscure site. You're looking for MAME32 with the GUI I assume? I do know the command-line MAME should have all versions from the past available..

Also, please use commas ( , ) and more sentences in the future, so your posts are not as hard to read.

Thanks

omer

Neo Geo
I said it works perfectly , I tried again and sound is choppy on mame 0.110 too. Sorry :msn_shy: . But speed is good.

ChouZangetsu

I do kno that it makes much diffrence with a better pc i have figured out the problem though it would seem that mk doesnt run very well with mame 0.114 or even the new 0.115 it could be actually a problem im having wit the later mame releases. I tryed version 0.106 and would i be right in saying thats the one with advanced visual?? Anyways it does run a hell of a lot faster but its still not perfect the sound is choppy still and im not sure if the speed is accurate and this has happened with a few roms before for egsample i couldnt get spiderman,chase hq or violent storm to work at all with 0.114 or higher but with 0.106 just bump up the framskip to skip 7/12fps and these games work fine may not be perfect but much more playabe than in the later versions so can any of you sent me a link for 0.110? i cant actually find it anywhere lol. it wud be a great help cheers :)

Tried this myself on Mame 0.114. It didn't have any sound problems but it did skip a lot.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Mame has been a much hungrier beast (in terms of system requirements) since v0.107 and dependent on the age of your hardware you might be better served to stick with an older version.
MK has been properly emulated since version 0.101 and working and playable for a lot longer, v0.89 offers a good balance between compatibility with older hardware and playable games.
Bear in mind that Revisions 4 & 5 of MK actually run on the newer MKII 'T' hardware and so are slightly hungrier beasts than revisions 1 - 3.

Lastly make sure that you have all relevant options in Mame32 turned off to improve the speed or try running it with Commandline Mame.

sonic springboard
I am now running Mortal Kombat ( revision 4 ) with 0.106 and it runs better than the rest :). There is Still some choppy sound and if i switch to Direct 3d mode it slows down a lot... Its true i find the older versions work much better with my system and am looking for an older version of mame with the built in gui but im not having any luck finding it :(

trying to avoid the command line versions

I wont even attempt to fix mk2 untill i figure out how to get this moving right but as far as i know mk2 and 3 dont work for me either...but i expected that.

sonic springboard
Excelent! running it on mame 0.89 now. Its perfect other than a slight audio glitch every 5 seconds or so but its much more playable and i can live with it :) Thanks for the link fat trucker, much apreciated and ive bookmarked the site for the future. Now i will release all that frustration this issue caused on jhonny cage :)

Again thanks for the help guys ;)