Super Mario 64 issues on Vista

Prozak

Super Mario 64 runs great on my xp system but I get some texture problems under Vista. I've tried running this on two seperate laptops, both with a core duo processor and intel 950gma running windows Vista. The problem is that some textures are either missing or flicker in and out. For example, when mario is running you don't see the shadow under his feet. And at the begining of the game, the red carpet at the entrance to the castle is missing, also the big round texture where the sun hits that is found on the floor almost immediately entering the castle flickers in and out depending on at what angle you view it at.

I've tried several plugins from Rices 5x and 6x, Jabo's, and gnl with various settings. The only one that brings these textures back is Jabo's Direct3D6.1.5.2 and for the rendering device under settings, I have to set it to RGB emulation. The problem with this is that it slows the came down to an unplayable frame rate. The game runs great on my slower xp system so I can only imagine this is an issue with Vista. Am I correct in assuming this? Or is there something else I can do? And if there isn't anything I can do right now, can we expect to see some support for Vista anytime soon? THanks.

Prozak

Thanks for the replies guys, I am running PJ64 but I've tried doing the same on 1964.

I tried to run it under windows xp compatibility. I do not know what no desktop composition means though. The issue wasn't fixed, but surprisingly enough, the emulator runs better with Vista aero turned on. Completely crazy, but I turned off aero, then ran the emulator and it ran painfully slow. I turn aero back on and the emulator runs just fine(minus the missing textures).

It looks like I just have to be patient for PJ64 to support vista then. I'm wondering if its an emulator issue, and or if its a video plug in issue? Time will tell I guess though.

Trident

Hi there new to this forum. I'm not familiar with this forum's format and i don't know how to start a new topic, boy do i feel dumb.

Anyways my question i wanted to post has to do with n64 emulation, i'm aware that there are many different emulators avalible and currently Project64 works quite well for me, but i'm soon going to run all my emulations off an older PC, i think it's a P2. I'm confident that it will run Zsnes, nestopia, and Fusion just fine, but project64 i'm not quite sure of. At this time I'm unable to test on it so i just went ahead and downloaded all the n64 emulators avalible. Is there any n64 emulator that would run best on an older PC like a pentium2 with a sub par graphics card?

What do you think of my other choices of emulators, i quite like Zsnes but i'm not that big on Fusion (it just seems to appear really dim to me) and nestopia i hardly use.

::EDIT::
i figured out how to start a new thread so my question is posted in a new topic here http://forums.emulator-zone.com/showthread.php?t=9312

Last edited: