Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Default Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Judging from the spec of your PC your going to get a lot of bottleneck with that 2 ghz cpu. An x1600 pro could be a bit too good, that's not to say it won't work but the cpu will bring down the framerates that card can do. An x1600pro, or sometihng like an x800gto, is the highest you should get.

Unhappy Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Wow! so almost everything about my computer is incapable of supporting even a decent-ish graphics card. My cpu's a problem, RAM, power supply and even my motherboard! I think I'll just forget about it for the time being it seems like WAY to much hassle, I thought it'd be simpler. Butters was making it sound more simple and less hassle... I'm miserable now...
    CrAzY!

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy! View Post
    Wow! so almost everything about my computer is incapable of supporting even a decent-ish graphics card. My cpu's a problem, RAM, power supply and even my motherboard! I think I'll just forget about it for the time being it seems like WAY to much hassle, I thought it'd be simpler. Butters was making it sound more simple and less hassle... I'm miserable now...
    i never said your power supply wouldnt support a new card, i said check it to make sure.
    also 2ghz is fine for a decent card like a 9800 pro (i have 2.26ghz, and my shit flies) the only thing i can see is that you need for ram and thats realitivily cheap and easy as hell to install
    Last edited by Psycho_Symantic; April 17th, 2007 at 01:59.

RAM is fine. My brother has a 256 MB computer and a Radeon X1600 and runs very good (well, he has 512 MB now). The only bad thing is that you'll need at least 512 MB for modern games. I think that's what Psycho is trying to tell you, but for emulators such as Project64 it's fine.

Don't worry about the power supply, but make sure it's over 250 W (most of them are of 250-300 W). Mine, for instance, is 250 W.

EDIT: I'm gonna make a video tutorial tomorrow to show you how to install an AGP video card.
    Last edited by Jale; April 17th, 2007 at 03:36.

Thumbs up Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Hiya peeps - @ Psycho: So that's cool, I'm confused...anyway so my CPU's ok and the only thing that you can see that might be a problem is my 256MB of RAM, right I'll consider getting more RAM. Thanks.

@ Butters: I do have a feeling my 256MB of RAM will be ok for me I'm not too fussed with playing the current PC titles (last year & new) just more modern games than my computer can cope with at the mo and to play newer games more reasonably. For example with the RAM I have at the mo would I be able to play a game like Battlefield 2 or Halo 1/2 at a good/reasonable rate?? And I'm happy about the emulators working better!

My Power Supply is {I just checked} - 300W So that's ok too.

And thanks Butters! that tutorial will help, even though I think I've got quite a good idea on how to plugin a new card, but still do it, it'll confirm my thoughts! Thanks to both Psycho & Butters

EDIT: Look at this card also (The card you're mentioning...) will I be able to insert this into my computer without installing anymore RAM and for the game to work well in my computer??

Look --->>> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEO...QQcmdZViewItem

If someone could just tell/suggest to me what the best card there is available that will drastically upgrade my system and will work and be compatible with my computer at it's current configuration, I'd really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 17th, 2007 at 15:53.
    CrAzY!

My Power Supply is {I just checked} - 300W So that's ok too.
    unfortunatly not, alot of these cards plug directly into the power supply (through one of the molex cables) so you need to check the power requirements of the cards.
    the 1600 pro you posted is a nice card but your power supply wont handle it, the card requires a 420watt psu
    http://www.diamondmm.com/X1600AGP512.php
    i dont know why butters is only telling you what you want to hear. but as a person who has numerous builds under his belt your system needs some upgrades before you can even think about getting some gaming parts.
    the ram weve discussed

but that psu (power supply unit) is piss poor it needs to be upgraded (unless you go with a much older card that doesnt plug into the psu)

Talking Re: Should you update the graphics Adapter on a 4 year old computer??

Oh ok...that's dissapointing, I'll have to go with an older card then, do you know a card that will upgrade from onboard S3 ProSavage DDR quite a bit but will also work in my system as it is now? (Best buy)?? Thanks

EDIT: Also to Psycho, I didn't know that these cards plug in to the PSU, thanks for that but as I understand the card I want is a card that plugs into my AGP slot and will work with my 256MB of RAM, Cpu & also PSU as it is now. Thanks

All info:

Mother board Name - Epox EP-P4MKI-S (VIA)
    Memory Slots - 256MB of system RAM {32MB Shared with onboard Graphics} - 2 other slots available
    Graphics: S3 Pro Savage DDR {Onboard}
    PSU- Peak Load 300W
    CPU - Intel Celeron 2.00Ghz
    AGP compatible

Thanks!
    Last edited by Crazy!; April 17th, 2007 at 16:46.
    CrAzY!

Oh ok...that's dissapointing, I'll have to go with an older card then, do you know a card that will upgrade from onboard S3 ProSavage DDR quite a bit but will also work in my system as it is now? (Best buy)?? Thanks

EDIT: Also to Psycho, I didn't know that these cards plug in to the PSU, thanks for that but as I understand the card I want is a card that plugs into my AGP slot and will work with my 256MB of RAM, Cpu & also PSU as it is now. Thanks

All info:

Mother board Name - Epox EP-P4MKI-S (VIA)
    Memory Slots - 256MB of system RAM {32MB Shared with onboard Graphics} - 2 other slots available
    Graphics: S3 Pro Savage DDR {Onboard}
    PSU- Peak Load 300W
    CPU - Intel Celeron 2.00Ghz
    AGP compatible

Thanks!
    your cpu is fine, your ram needs upgraded, your psu needs upgraded your motherboard is fine.
    as your computer stands now, it wont work because the ram and psu are holding you back.
    once those are taking care of then get your monster card.

you can get a 500watt psu for about 30 pounds maybe less
    and an extra 256mb of ram for about the same.

also check the links i posted in the other reply and youll see what im talking about
    Last edited by Psycho_Symantic; April 17th, 2007 at 17:39.

@ Butters: I do have a feeling my 256MB of RAM will be ok for me I'm not too fussed with playing the current PC titles (last year & new) just more modern games than my computer can cope with at the mo and to play newer games more reasonably. For example with the RAM I have at the mo would I be able to play a game like Battlefield 2 or Halo 1/2 at a good/reasonable rate?? And I'm happy about the emulators working better!
    I've ran Halo with my X1600 at 1024x768 with Anti-Aliasing and I'm satisfied with it, but I can't say the same with Halo 2. First, it requires Windows Vista. Second, your RAM memory is not enough to run either Halo 2 or Windows Vista. And third, Halo 2 is a DirectX 10 game and the X1600 is a DirectX 9 card. At this point I don't know if the game will also support DirectX 9 rendering.

You need at least 512 MB as a minimum requirement for any modern game. The same goes for Battlefield 2, but this one doesn't require Vista to play, but a good amount of RAM is a must.

Psycho, my PSU is 250W and it accepts the card just fine. I've done stressful tests and it went all good. Plus, the video card box/manual didn't say anything about how much power it needs, it only says this:

"3. If the VGA card requires extra power supply, please make sure the power connector is connected with power from the power supply unit".

And the warning notes below are referred to avoid BIOS flashing, remove serial number, etc. Nothing to do with power supply.

Last edited by Jale; April 17th, 2007 at 19:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    EDIT: I'm gonna make a video tutorial tomorrow to show you how to install an AGP video card.
    This weekend now. I don't have time.

Thread Information