How many roms can my comp hold

clules

My comp is very old...It has 196 rams, it's 400MHZ, and has 12.11 GB of which less than half is free. Oh yeah, and I use modem dial-up, and Windows XP, SP2. I have downloaded the GBA and the GBC. I have one game for the GBA and four for the GBC. How many games can i safely download without doing severe damage to my puter?

I want to download another game for GBC which is a twin pack I guess. It's listed as Dragon Warrior I & II.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Linkmaster183

Old Style Gamist
Well, you might be able to have more roms. But Butters has a good suggestion about the N64. The Isos to download for like Playstation X are about 300MB-950Mb so if you want to download those kinds of roms you might want to put them on a Cd that can hold that much space. Other than if you put to many of the Isos on your PC it will most likely crash and the processer won't be in very good shape after that happens.

Jale

It's not like the processor is going to explode or something, Linkmaster183. It'll just run very, very slow or, in the worst cases, crash your system.

CD images aren't ROMs, they're ISOs.

By the way, I'm surprised your computer can manage Windows XP with Service Pack 2. With those specs and Windows 2000, your computer should run smoothly.

Last edited:

clules

Well actually, I get the "virtual memory low" thing all the time. Well not every day but twice a week for sure.

Okay to follow up: I have no idea what an ISOS is. In the site where the downloadable games are they are called ROMs. (ROM HUSTLER) What's the difference, please. I know squat about comps but love to learn.

Also, Should the NES and SNES take up less space than the GBA or GBC? If I decide to download them. What I do is delete the systems when I want to put another in or another game. Then reinstall them if I want to play them later. Is that wise?

Butters said:
By the way, I'm surprised your computer can manage Windows XP with Service Pack 2. With those specs and Windows 2000, your computer should run smoothly.

Are you saying I should install windows 2000?

Jale

Are you saying I should install windows 2000?
Judging by your processor speed, yes. But you haven't mention how much RAM you have.

An ISO is a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM rip.
A ROM is a cartridge dump.

GBA ROMs are bigger than SNES ROMs.

Last edited:

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
The Isos to download for like Playstation X are about 300MB-950M

Playstation Iso's?
We are talking about GB and GBC right?
If so the roms are like 6 Mb, so why mention Playstation Isos?

Last edited:

Jale

A PlayStation ISO can't be bigger than 700-750 MB.

The biggest GBA ROM size I have is 32 MB.
The biggest for the SNES is 6 MB and even 8 MB.

insanemaniak

This User Is Insane
A PlayStation ISO can't be bigger than 700-750 MB.

The biggest GBA ROM size I have is 32 MB.
The biggest for the SNES is 6 MB and even 8 MB.

Yeah i get the Playstation ISO part, i have plenty of them myself, but we're talking about GBA roms here right?, and the 6 Mb was an average estimate

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
The entire GBA ROM collection is around 10Gigabytes including all the japanese, french italien etc releases. All the english GBA ROMS are aorund 4Gigabytes.

Jale

IT IS ACTUALLY 300MB-1GB. BECAUSE FINALFANTASY 7 IS 1 GB
That's because Final Fantasy VII comes with 3 discs. We are talking about the size per ISO, which is up to 700 - 800 MB.

The only CD-ROM that comes with more than 1 GB is a Dreamcast GD-ROM, if we are talking about consoles.

Last edited:

clules

It's not like the processor is going to explode or something, Linkmaster183. It'll just run very, very slow or, in the worst cases, crash your system.

CD images aren't ROMs, they're ISOs.

BTW, what happens when a computer crashes? Told ya I'm comp illiterate. Is it fit for the junk pile or can it be repaired?

Also I mentioned that the computer has 196 rams.I didn't know 196 was a unit of RAM. I had a new V-Card installed and I think the ram went up with that. At least that what it says in the computer stats (which I can't find anymore). If you give me a path I'll copy it for ya.

lol...You'd be even more surprised to know the Processor I use is called "Cybermax" and it was designed by Microsoft for Window 98. We won't go to the monitor. :D

One other thing. I have BurgerTime downloaded(for GBC) but it's in black and white. What can I do to see this game in color? It's no fun in b/w.

Jale

It was because your integrated graphics was sharing a bit of RAM and when you installed a video card, the memory is full operative now.

You can still use emulators under Windows 98.

clules

Thank you Butters. Are you saying I have less than 196 Rams?

Also is there anyone willing to respond to the rest of the post. I did ask a few questions.