question about roms

brett

i downloaded a whole bunch of roms and some of them have weird things next to the name like (j)[b1][b2][b3][b4](u)(e)[!][o1][o2][o3] what do they mean? im pretty sure e=English and j=Japanese but what are the rest? let me know thanks

spotanjo3

(j) = japan
(u) = usa
(e) = europe
[!] = good dump

I am not sure about [o1][o2][o3], sorry. I will look around and ask some people in other forum then post it in here, ok ? :D

Last edited:

Jale

that sound good, thanks
whats the difference between the betas and the non betas?

Beta is not a definitive product. In fact, it's an earlier stage of development of something, meaning it's incomplete and/or different from the final product.

I think the [p] ones are patches, but I'm not 100% sure, and the [a] ones mean alphas, which is an earlier development stage than beta.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
The o's are overdumps. When roms are dumped from the cartridges sometimes an error can occur, where the rom is dumped successfully but for some reason extra data is added to the file.

brett

why do they include all the extra ones? why cant they just have the good dumps? cause i could imagine the a/b/o could have problems

brett

which ones should i keep? im trying to make a ps2 dvd so i can play them on my ps2 and i cant keep them all but id like to have one of each game, right now theres like 5 different verison for each game

Jale

Get the ones with [!]. Those are the good dumps. Also, consider getting the appropiate region (E), (U), or (J). Obviously (J) games is in japanese so you wouldn't want that one. (U) is for NTSC (60 FPS) and (E) is for PAL (50 FPS).

Last edited:

TchuBacha

I am the Stig
why do they include all the extra ones? why cant they just have the good dumps? cause i could imagine the a/b/o could have problems

I think its because at the time theres was only one dump of a game so people would have to make do with an overdumped rom. Collectors like the beta and alpha roms because some betas contain levels sprites etc that werent included in the final release. Sonic the hedgehog 2 for the megadrive is a good example.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi

Cowering's GoodTools are for indentifying ROMs, not collecting them. They help you identify what you have. Cowering can't help it that those site hosts all the ROMs he has in his tools.