Problems with ePSXe (FF7)

Maxdknife

So I downloaded the emulator and backed up my copy of FF7, finally got it to run. I had a few minor things like, some things would be showing up as black, the battle menu wouldn't show up, and the "battle swirl" wouldn't happen.

But, my biggest problem is with memory cards and save states. Not even using them together, just seperately. I'll play it for maybe an hour or two, then find an in-game save point and turn the emulator off. Every time I come back, my save is gone. What makes it more confusing is that my memory cards decided to keep my first save file, when I saved at 11 minutes. So, what's up with that, and how can I fix it?

Secondly, save states. Basically the same thing'll happen as with my memory cards, but with save states. I can load and save my states perfectly in one go, but if I save and leave, it'll erase itself. How do I fix this?

mhl12

Maxdknife

Forgot to say I fixed all my problems except for the battle swirl and saves, but I'll try that other version. Thanks for the advice.

guh, nothing happened. I'm getting the same thing I got for the other one. Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited:

Maxdknife

Pete's, but I fixed the save issue. The only real bad thing now is just that I can't see the whole battle swirly thing, but that doesn't bug me.

mhl12

i think that's a known issue and hasn't been resolved yet. I don't see any battle swirl on mine either.

enviouz

Pete's, but I fixed the save issue.

may i ask how you did that? i dont play ff7 myself. but the same thing happens when i play soul reaver except that it takes me back to the beginning of the game. (not sure if you have ever played it or not but i go back to the beginning right after the opening scene). ive tried everything i can think of. well save states work but id rather use the mem cards ya know. so if you can let me know how you fixed the save issue maybe it could work with my game. thankx in advance.

p.s. sorry about highjacking your thread.

Maxdknife

may i ask how you did that? i dont play ff7 myself. but the same thing happens when i play soul reaver except that it takes me back to the beginning of the game. (not sure if you have ever played it or not but i go back to the beginning right after the opening scene). ive tried everything i can think of. well save states work but id rather use the mem cards ya know. so if you can let me know how you fixed the save issue maybe it could work with my game. thankx in advance.

probably the same issue i had. have you made your memcards yet? also, describe your situation a bit more. is it exactly like mine was? if after the first cutscene it just skips and plays itself over again, i dunno what to tell you. other than it's a bad rip.

enviouz

well first off i should say im very new to the whole emulation scene. but i did use psx mem tool. in that prog i went to new mem card and then picked a name and saved it as a .mcr file. then moved them to the mem card folder of my emulator. if thats what you mean by making my cards then yes i did do that after reading on some other threads. ive also tried a few different emulators (epsxe, psx, pcsx, psxeven, just to name a few) same prob with all of them. save states work fine but the mem cards do work properly (id rather use the cards myself). as far as whats happening. when you first start soul reaver there is an opening movie that basically tells you whats going on and tells you how you became to be in the form your in. and right after that opening scene you start in a cavern (this is also the place you go back to when ever your life runs out in the spectral realm). the game plays just fine ive made it also 25% of the way through. but no matter where i save it at when i shut my emulator down and start again. after reading the cards and loading the save file it takes me back to that cavern but if i use save states then i start from my last save state (after loading the save state of course). ive also heard of mem card emulation not working on most games. is this true? could this be the cause of the problem? if you still need more info just let me know and ill try to give more detail (although im not really sure how else i can explain it). also im not sure if it happens only in that one game or not as thats the only one i have at the current moment. thankx in advance.

p.s. sorry if its a bad explaination still a noob here.

Last edited:

Maxdknife

just one thing. try not to put an absolute block of text, it kinda puts strain on the eyes. :)

As far as I know, memcard emulation works alright with most games, I'm starting to think there's just something wrong with your copy of the game. Dunno what it could be though. :eek: