CPS2 Fundamental Breakthrough News

cibomatto2002

Windows 10
Today I realised why I was having problems with the correlations between subkey bits, where some bits had to be derived from the others not only using XOR, but also AND and OR.

The reason was again in the s-boxes that only have 4 or 5 data inputs instead of the full 6. Those boxes contain 2 or 4 subtables, and the order of the subtables inside the box or the order of the bits inside each subtable isn't particularly important when decrypting a single address, because they can always be compensated by appropriate bits in the subkey.

However, when putting all subkeys together, those things became important. E.g. I could be finding that when using subtable #3 in a box, then two of the inputs had to be inverted. To fix this, I had to rearrange the subtables inside the s-boxes to make everything in sync.

The result was excellent. Previously, some of the correlations among the 96 bits were overly complex, taking up to 4 bits at once. Now every bit is directly correlated to another. The only exception is the bits that correspond to the "empty" inputs of s-boxes that take only 4 or 5 data inputs. What this means is that all 6 inputs of all s-boxes always receive the XOR of three sources: either a data bit, a key seed bit, and a global key bit; or two key seed bits, and a global key bit.

That's only the beginning of the good news, though. After fixing the s-boxes, I could attack again the first part on the algorithm on the assumption it was a 4-round Feistel network, and indeed it was.

So the algorithm turns out to be like this:

1. Take the 16-bit address and a 96-bit key and run them through the first Feistel network, to produce a 16-bit subkey.

2. Take the 16-bit ciphertext, 16-bit subkey, and another 96-bit key and run them through the second Feistel network, to produce the 16-bit plaintext

So now, for the first time, I would be able to produce a program that algorithmically decrypts one of the game for which we have full tables, without using any table.

It's not yet time to celebrate, though: the s-boxes for the first Feistel network still have to be properly determined, and this might require having access to some more games.

Once that is done, producing keys for games that we have complete tables for will be quite simple.

Finding keys for games for which we don't have full tables, however, is an entirely different matter. As said above, we are potentially dealing with a 192-bit key here; it's possible that the key is smaller and the bits are reused, however since we don't know how they would be, we have to treat it like a 192-bit one. For a key of that size, obviously brute force is out of the question; and while the XOR tables do provide some information, it's probably not the kind of information that would allow to use the differential cryptanalysis techniques we'd need.

Zach

Because when you report that kind of news you need to have a legitimate source. It's just that simple.

Good journalism. There are enough rumors and false information out there already for all kinds of stuff