Can't get Rival Schools to work on Mame32

FinalFightJack

Hi everyone, I'm just another clueless noob who just discovered how to emulate 2 weeks ago. As you can tell I'm a Final Fight fan as well as a fan of just about all Capcom/NeoGeo games in general. I got most of the stuff I have (Steet Fight Alpha 3, Final Fight, etc) up and running. However I'm having trouble getting Rival Schools to run on Mame. I notice that for Rival Schools the "Asia" version is the only version that I can find. The stuff I have working are all US ROMS. Does the fact that a ROM is an Asian, Japanese, or European version compared to the US version effect whether you can run it or not? Any help would be appreciated.

Robert

One of them will be the "parent" set and will be required. For Rival Schools, you need the USA version. Plus, you need the CPZN2 bios.

FinalFightJack

Thanks. I got the bios and the USA File needed to start it up. But now after going through all the legal jumbo, it says the game's not emulated properly so I press OK, get the stats for the game then a blue screen appears and says "System Error! Error C094".

Now should I simply find the rom on a different site and hope for better results, or should I try to run on a different emulator such as Zinc?

I have a basic 400 dollar CPU so perhaps it isn't capable of running 3-D games.

ChouZangetsu

Rival Schools definitely works in Mame. You (anyone who doesn't already know) should get Mame32 Plus! Plus! 0.114. It has support for games like Rival Schools, Battle Arena Toshinden, etc.

You can configure PSX plugins and stuff to help make them games run a LOT faster. I tried to run Rival Schools in Mame32 Plus! Plus! using just the emulator and not the PSX plugins... I couldn't get anywhere near 40 fps.

Then I tested it with PSX plugins and it doubled the uncapped frames during gameplay in Rival Schools.

Rival Schools USA
rivalschoolsnoframelimiwi4.jpg

You can also limit your maximum frame rate. I use this exact configuration for all 3D games.

Create a folder called plugins in your Mame directory and put these plugins in it.

Graphics plugin: d3d_renderer (obtain renderer.znc from OpenGL and D3D renderers 1.2.zip, on this site where you get Zinc from, and rename it to d3d_renderer, it cannot be configured)

Sound plugin: spuPeopsSound.dll (Can be configured, download PCSX2 0.9.2 from this site and take spu2PeopsSound.dll from the plugins folder and rename it to spuPeopsSound.dll).

Set your controls before you launch any 3D game using the PSX plugins.

Go to Advanced > change video out method to 3D, start the game, pause it, set your controls, exit, then restart using the PSX / GPU (3D Graphics plugins).

screenhunter001kc4.gif

Battle Arena Toshinden 2 USA
battlearenatoshindennofxn4.jpg

Street Fighter EX 2 Plus USA
sfex2kg5.jpg

Strider 2 ASIA
striderhiryunr0.jpg

Bloody Roar 2 JAPAN
bloodyzd1.jpg

Tekken 3 USA
tekken3vr3.jpg

Last edited:

TwistedWhizz

I would love to have a go at this, but cannot find the emulator anywhere. Can you recommend somewhere to download it from please? PM me if you feel more comfortable with that.

Does it come with a frontend, or do I have to download one extra? Let me know anyway, I'm looking forward to following your instructions here and giving it a go. Any other advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

TwistedWhizz

Thanks for your reply. I´ve downloaded the file and now have mame++ up and running. :)

I´m having a bit of bother with some of your instructions though, specifically the plugins. I have downloaded the graphics zip as you say from this very site. Do I leave it zipped or do I have to extract it? Does this come with the OpenGL renderer or do I have to look elsewhere for that? And which bit do I rename? Sorry, but I´m a bit stuck with it. I´ve never used plugins on mame before!

Also, I got the sound plugin from the file you suggest and renamed it, but the sound is still very shuddery and screechy. Is this because my graphics plugins aren´t right yet, rather than the sound plugin being at fault?

Sorry to be a pain, but thanks for all your help.

For reference, my PC is a 2200+ Sempron, with 768 Meg RAM and a 128Meg GeForce FX5600XT graphics card. Not great, but I thought it would be up to the job of old PS games!

I also want to play this game.

I have Mame Plus! Plus! 0.119 as well as the required bios and I am able to play the game.

However, I do not have the PSX plugins and don't know where to find and place them.

Must I create a PSX folder? And where can I download them?

As it stands, I do not even know the name of that which I must download.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Are you genuinely having a laugh?. This thread is 2 years old!!!!. Did it really need resurrecting?.

I knew this would be said... but you see, isn't this a little more convenient than starting a new thread?

The penalty seems the same (another ''topic slot'' used up on the front page) but this has the advantage of a little prior discussion so everybody is on the same page. Of course, I opted for resurrection rather than creation :)D) on a bit of a whim but it didn't seem like a horribly bad idea right off the bat.

Still, if you think it better that this thread be removed and a new one made in it's place, then of course I have no problem with that.

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Its a pain because posting at the bottom of an old thread, many users will look at the original post and start responding to it thinking its a new topic or request, without looking down the thread to see that' someone has asked a new question. Far from being efficient it just makes boards into a sh*tty mess full of old posts and requests.
Grave digging is bad form on any forum. In future if you want to make a help topic....make a new one.

Whoops, that hadn't occurred to me. Not sure how the trade-off works out then. Well, best to simply link to this thread in the new one if it has a use I suppose, so I should just do that.

Sorry about that.

Er... but now that this thread is already up here should I still make a new one?

Last edited: