MAME32 Can I use a PC Controller?

Belleaux

Gunslinger
Hello,

I am pretty sure this question has been asked before… Is there any way to get a pc game controller to work with MAME32? I recently started using mame32 and playing my butt off on my laptop but I am a little worried about the constant mashing on the laptops keyboard:wacko: :wacko: , so I pulled out an old Gravis exterminator Pc controller with usb port and have been trying to figure out a way to get it to work with mame.:confused: If anyone has the answer to my question or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Regards,

ThunderStrike

Hello Belleaux how to get your control pad to work, which version of Mame32 ?
options, default game options, controllers, enable joystick input.tick,then OK.

Enable joystick input : This setting tells Mame32 to utilize any currently connected joysticks. Mame32 will interrogate the game controllers control panel and use ID#1 and up.

Belleaux

Gunslinger
Hello Again,

Thank you for the help Thunderstrike! I got my old pc controller working ok but now when I open mame and press the D pad or the analog stick it just keeps scrolling upward through the game list :( , I am not sure what has gone wrong at this point I think I will go ahead and toss this controller and maybe try and purchase a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards,

Last edited:

Belleaux

Gunslinger
Thanks Thunderstrike,:)

I got it working, I had to uninstall the gravis program software and then I was able to go into the control panel, game controllers, and then to properties and re calibrate the controller, for some reason when I had any gravis software on my PC it would never open the game controllers properties for me:glare: .

Now all I need to figure out is how to get the lightgun to move in more then one direction besides up and down,
and if there is a way that I can change the controls for players 1 through 4 without having to go in and manually do them one by one,
and search for more compatible roms for mame32….:rolleyes: So much to do.

Regards

GASIYAT

Banned
Hello Again,

Thank you for the help Thunderstrike! I got my old pc audacity temp mail origin controller working ok but now when I open mame and press the D pad or the analog stick it just keeps scrolling upward through the game list :( , I am not sure what has gone wrong at this point I think I will go ahead and toss this controller and maybe try and purchase a new one and see if that fixes the problem.

Regards,

Is there any way to get a pc game controller to work with MAME32? I recently started using mame32 and playing my butt off on my laptop but I am a little worried about the constant mashing on the laptops keyboard

Last edited:

Lefteris_D

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can, just plug the controller in and it will mostly work. If you wish to customize it though it will be a bit complex the first time.

I highly suggest you look for a video guide if you want to do that.

GASIYAT

Banned
Thanks Thunderstrike,:)

I got it working, I had to uninstall the gravi emi calculator gst login ifsc code s program software and then I was able to go into the control panel, game controllers, and then to properties and re calibrate the controller, for some reason when I had any gravis software on my PC it would never open the game controllers properties for me:glare: .

Now all I need to figure out is how to get the lightgun to move in more then one direction besides up and down,
and if there is a way that I can change the controls for players 1 through 4 without having to go in and manually do them one by one,
and search for more compatible roms for mame32….:rolleyes: So much to do.

Regards

mashing on the laptops keyboard , so I pulled out an old Gravis exterminator Pc controller with usb port and have been trying to figure out a way to get it to work with mame. If anyone has the answer to my question or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Last edited:

kelrein

Hello,

I am pretty sure this question has been asked before… Is there any way to get a pc game controller to work with MAME32? I recently started using mame32 and playing my butt off on my laptop but I am a little worried about the constant mashing on the myloweslife laptops keyboard:wacko: :wacko: , so I pulled out an old Gravis exterminator Pc controller with usb port and have been trying to figure out a way to get it to work with mame.:confused: If anyone has the answer to my question or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Regards,

Check that Windows itself can see the gamepad - go into Control Panel, and then search for "game", and there should be a panel that lets you test all of the buttons.

If it's working, you should be able to press the Tab key while a game is running, and setup your buttons. Bear in mind MAME can have settings for all games or just the game you're playing now, so avoid the "Inputs for this machine" option unless you need something specific to that machine. I think you should be looking for "General Inputs".

KAISY

Hello,

I am pretty sure this question has been asked before… Is there any way to get a pc game controller to work with MAME32? I recently started using mame32 and playing my butt off on my laptop but I am a little worried about the constant mashing on the laptops keyboard:wacko: :wacko: , so I pulled out an old Gravis exterminator Pc controller with usb port and have been trying to figure out a way to get it to work with mame.:confused: If anyone has the answer to my question or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

Regards,

If anyone has the answer to my question or have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance

gargmukul121

I got it working, I had to uninstall the gravis program software and then I was able to go into the control panel, game controllers, and then to properties and re calibrate the controller, for some reason when I had any gravis software on my PC it would never open the game controllers properties for me .

Steve_12

I got it working, I had to uninstall the gravis program software and then I was able to go into the control panel, game controllers, and then to properties and re calibrate the controller, for some reason when I had any gravis software on my PC it would never open the game controllers properties for me .

Excellent solution to the problem!

chrismoyall

Hello,

omegle chatiw
Regards,

Yes, it is possible, for that you have to just plug the controller in and it will mostly work.
If you wish to customize the settings then may be hard it for the only first time.
I highly suggest you look for a how to video guide if you want to do that.

MikeWill07

Yes, it is possible, for that you have to just plug the controller in and it will mostly work.
If you wish to customize the settings then may be hard it for the only first time.
I highly suggest you look for a how to video guide if you want to do that.

Thanks for the practical advice!