help with Mame resolution please!

loganq

I'm using an ArcadeVGA card and a 1980's 19" arcade monitor mounted vertically, and Mame .111b, in order to play the old classics such as Pac-man, Astroblaster, Galaxian, etc. and have it running at 60hz vertical sync.

I've found that every resolution I've tried other than 352x288 cause scrolling, and if I adjust for that scrolling, then the 352x288 games scroll when I go back to them. For instance if I adjust to 512x512 to play Satan's Hollow, I must readjust the vertical sync on my monitor - then back again for Galaxian.

What can I do so that I can play games like Satan's Hollow, Spy Hunter, Gorf, etc. that won't work with 352x288. And how can I identify and optimize those which I am running at 352x288 which would do better at another resolution?

loganq

Robert:

Thanks for the reply and for the suggestion.

I looked at AdvanceMame and the setup is a bit too harsh for me. Additionally, I've configured Mala to work with Mame and have several games that are working as I'd hope with my current configuration.

If possible, I'd like to try to get the ini files (for Mame) setup properly instead of scrapping everything and starting over.

Someone else must have had this problem?

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
I cant help you... This stuff is way above me! But google 'MameWorld'. Someone there must know how to help you...

FatTrucker

Abusus non tollit usum
Hi,

I had a similar issue with my ArcadeVGA card. I found that by very minute adjustment of the vertical and horizontal pots on the arcade monitor I could hit a sweet spot where it retained a stable picture at all resolutions.
The alternative is to set up each game manually in Mame on your first play or you could try Minwah's resolution tool HERE that automates the process to a degree.

Hope that helps.

Jaymz87

Just thinking off the top of my head here:

There's an option in MAME to adjust individual game settings, it's alot easier in the MAME32 version, with the GUI frontend, but even with the regular MAME version, from the command prompt, its possible to set the options to individual games.

If you need more specific instructions on how to do this, post back here and let me know, and I'll get my old MAME machine back up and running and find out.

Regards.