Bad Roms Question

rbaby

Hey guys,

I have a couple of questions...

Question 1) Is it typical to find roms on the internet, from various places, then when you place them in the rom folder, MAME32 recognizes/plays a majority, but some of them won't work and are "bad roms"?

Question 2) Will these "bad roms" play on the comand line MAME or is MAME32 and comand line the same with respect to which roms they will play?

Question 3) What do you guys usually do....look for a new source of the rom that didnt work? or delete the old one and try to re-download it and see if it works?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.

Epsi

Zoo Keeper
... Welcome to Mame... Mame roms change from version to version, so theres like 5 different rom sets for same game, of which only latest rom set work on latest Mame... I wish you all the best of luck, and happy hunting.

montpics

Question 1) Is it typical to find roms on the internet, from various places, then when you place them in the rom folder, MAME32 recognizes/plays a majority, but some of them won't work and are "bad roms"?
That's because MAME generally updated along with the romsets that may changed or added with the latest version. Some of the sites may no update them.
Question 2) Will these "bad roms" play on the comand line MAME or is MAME32 and comand line the same with respect to which roms they will play?
It may ran with the bad roms, but it will show the crappy graphic that shouldn't happened with the correct roms.
Question 3) What do you guys usually do....look for a new source of the rom that didnt work? or delete the old one and try to re-download it and see if it works?
Generally depends. For me, I still keep the old version of MAME since I haven't update mine since MAME 0.89 something, along with the ROMs that actually works with that version. :)