Tried EVERYTHING, but NO saturn emulator

xesvuli420

Ok i admit, im a newbie to this stuff, however I am not stupid ;) I have downloaded all the emulators for sega saturn and cant get any to work. heres the problems

Satourn - immediatly pops up a window saying the application has to be closed.

SSF - after I double click the SSF file, NOTHING happens, EVER, no error message, no nothing, well except for the huge lag on the computer until i restart it

Saturin - Also pops up an error message.

Cassini - This one i can get to open, but i get the error message about the bios when I hit run CD

I have installed Daemon tools, and have put all 3 DLL files (wnaspi32.dll, msvcr70.dll, and msvcp70.dll) into the directory of the emulator, as well as the bios file "Sega_101.bin"<---I google'd to find that but i'm not sure its correct.. I tried to go by the instructions on this link... *SNIPPED!* ... But Its kind of vague, esspecially since I cant get the SSF to do ANYTHING. The game I am trying to run is daytona USA, and when i downloaded the file i got 21 mp3's. 1 read me file, and 1 .iso file. I assume the iso is the game file.

Im not sure If i'm supposed to load the iso game file, or the sega_101.bin file to the daemons tool thing, but I have tried it both ways. I am VERY lost It seems like daytona USA keeps giving me hell, I bought the saturn for 480$ JUST FOR THAT GAME then they stop making games shortly later, and now, the only emulator i cant get to work is the one to play this stupid little game on it, HAHA

Please someone help me, ask me any questions you need (in laymans terms, no jargon please) and I will promptly answer you as soon as I get the email saying a response has been giving. Thanks in advance -Shane

Last edited by a moderator:

xesvuli420

oh I noticed somewhere that games are supposed to come with a BIN file and a CUE file, if this is true point me in the direction to download a different version of the daytona usa cause it only has a ISO file, a bunch of MP3 files, and a TXT file in the ZIP bundle. Thanks

montpics

Reminds me on the day I tested with all Saturn emulators.

>CLICK HERE!<

List of Sega Saturn emulators :
>CLICK HERE!<

Did you miss one more emulator, Yabause? (It is also work but slow as well.) :cool:

Note :
For SSF, you need to have either Intel Pentium 4 or Athlon 64 which SSE2 support. (regarding to the latest version of SSF ONLY)

Check you PC with CPU-Z whether your PC have SSE2 support or not.

For Cassini, I personally used Cassini 1.0 only as it is very simple to be used rather than the latest version which is Cassini 5.0. The actual BIOS file for Cassini should be EURO.BIN. Change the filename of the BIOS.

Others, you can refer to that thread that I posted above.

Any question can be asked here. :)

xesvuli420

I GIVE UP, I have tried EVERYTHING this stuff is too hard, i cant figure it out. I even downloaded a cue writter to attempt to get the stupid thing to work. Every way i turn i get an error message, or severly lag my computer down. If a good tutorial opens up for cassini let me know cause that is the only one i can get to start up.

montpics

As people would say, 'Patience is the key to success'. I did the very same way on those emulators until I was able to use it. :)

For Cassini 1.0 (recommended), did you find the bios which is EURO.BIN file? Change the name of the bios file if needed.

Note :
If the error pops up, it meant that you found the wrong one. Find another one. :cool:

Simple post about Cassini guide. (quick guide only)
>CLICK HERE!<

xesvuli420

well Cruis'n USA for N64 emulator barely runs. (sound pops, slight lag sometimes, etc...) So after hearing all this about having to have a really fast computer to run saturn games, Im afraid that after the 30 hours it takes me to get the thing running I'll only find out that my computer is to slow to play it. If anyone knows a site I could go to to find my computer specs, tell me what to look for and I will post them so you guys can tell me if I will be fast enough, before I continue my journey into getting one to work. Thanks Shane

montpics

Generally you will know the PC specs by right click on My Computer and click Properties. It will show the infos about your CPU, RAM and Windows version that you are using.

For quick Graphic Card info, you may right click on the desktop (don't click any icon) and hit Properties. It will popped up Display Properties. Click on Settings Tab and you will get the info by looking under Graphic :.

Sorry if my recent post will make you a little confused. :p

Alternatively, you can click here below.
>CLICK HERE!<
(Utility that provides information on your CPU, including: processor name and vendor, core stepping and process, processor package, internal and external clocks, clock multiplier, partial overclock detection, processor features, supported instructions sets, L1 and L2 cache information, location, size, speed, and technology.)

xesvuli420

but see, i dont know what info i gather is important, i dont know what does what, that is why I wanted some help from people who knew this stuff. Sure I could get all the specs, but staring at a bunch of computer specs is like ordering mexican food to me. So if you want to help me out, tell me the stuff you need to know to figure out if my computer is fast enough or not, and I will either upload a screen shot, or just tell you the specs you ask for. Thanks again

montpics

Just like this PC that I'm using now. (not mine actually)

Example :
CPU : AMD Athlon XP 1800+
RAM : 120 MB (I doubt it's 128MB)
Graphic Card : Trident Video Acclerator Blade 3D/ProMedia (Very weak graphic card.)

Note :
I gather this quick info by doing the steps that I posted earlier in this thread.

xesvuli420

Generally you will know the PC specs by right click on My Computer and click Properties. It will show the infos about your CPU, RAM and Windows version that you are using.

For quick Graphic Card info, you may right click on the desktop (don't click any icon) and hit Properties. It will popped up Display Properties. Click on Settings Tab and you will get the info by looking under Graphic :.

Sorry if my recent post will make you a little confused. :p

Alternatively, you can click here below.
>CLICK HERE!<
(Utility that provides information on your CPU, including: processor name and vendor, core stepping and process, processor package, internal and external clocks, clock multiplier, partial overclock detection, processor features, supported instructions sets, L1 and L2 cache information, location, size, speed, and technology.)

I am such a bonehead, I didnt even notice this post was there. HAHAHA would have saved us both some confusion. Anyways here is the specs...

Hp Notebook PC
mobile AMD athlon(tm) XP sp2 1500+
649 MHz, 224MB of RAM

Display settings :
Radeon IGP 320M set to 32bit true color

montpics

Hp Notebook PC
mobile AMD athlon(tm) XP sp2 1500+
649 MHz, 224MB of RAM

Display settings :
Radeon IGP 320M set to 32bit true color
With the current specs, it should work with Cassini 1.0, or Yabause (I can't confirm with that but you can try with it. It might be slow.) However, you can't use the current version of SSF which needs better speed CPU for the likes of Athlon 64/FX or Intel Pentium 4. :)

xesvuli420

ok lets try this. I couldnt get cassini to do anything last time, SOOOO how about when you read this, send me an Email to Xesvuli420@yahoo.com with your email in it. I will get it immediatly, and reply to your email with an idea I have. Maybe if we can get together online you could walk me through doing this. I would really appreciate you taking the time to help me, so if it still doesnt work I dont keep feeling like i'm a complete idiot, at least then we both will be ;) lol just kidding.

dave--k

SSF is the only emulator i can get working and it works decently.

I'm using PAL Saturn Discs and my PC is pretty decent.

I wish it was a bit more stable like other emulators such as Fusion or MAME

EDIT: It's signs of development are showing now, when i play ManxTT Superbike and go into a race it slows down...:( with the occasional spurt of normal speed. Menus work fine.
Well, it's impressive because its version 0.08 Alpha, it's not even Beta yet so thats good signs to a proper emulator :D
So when we see version 1.0 it will most likely be working...hopfully :D

The other emulators don't work for me. And i hope development on SSF is going well :)

Last edited:

Greystoke

I know I just recently downloaded the newest ssf and I was having problems with it as well.

I figured out that the actual cd folder must be open in order for it to work...

Usually it'll auto open then I'd start ssf. Worked fine then. (I was only playing japanese games)

xesvuli420

hmmm, do you have to have a CD in the cd-rom??? man what do i do, i am so lost at this stuff. anyone have a step by step???