Going Back to Basics; Portable NES Emulator - Custom Emulator Needed and Other Probs.

n00batlife

Note: Sorry this post is so long, there's quite a bit to talk about here.
As I'm sure a lot of you know, the wii target gift cards can be hacked and modded pretty easily. If you don't, go read this if you feel like it, or don't it doesn't matter for what I'm trying to do. I was inspired by this mod which is mildly similar to what I am trying to do, the fairly famous mod known as Loginoki. and by a demented train of thought conjured up by my mind (which has recently become addicted to DIY projects) this sinister plan was formed.

Note: The next few paragraphs are about the technicals for the device I am attempting to make. If you want to skip to my emulator problem, I'll put a few blank lines right before it. If you know anything about circuit boards, PICs, or construction of that sort, please read on I can use all the help I can get.
Anyway, here's my plan. The circuit board seen... Gone. I'm also going to take the plastic ribs inside, protecting the cavity in the board and carve that out. I'm going to take out a large chunk of either the front or the back (likely the back and I'll move the barcode to the front or move it down or perhaps scan it, turn it into a sticker, and put that somewhere else.) and put in a LCD screen.
Note: If anyone else knows of a thinner display solution than an LCD screen, please reply and tell me. Space is a huge concern here, and I'm likely going to have to extend the case to make this work.
I'll then add in the buttons needed, using the same ground/no ground I/O format used in the original button, hopefully. I'll be using a 16-bit MCU or DSC the ,particular PIC I have not chosen, yet, to control the device, and I will also add in flash memory for the emulator/rom(s) if the flash memory in the PIC is not enough. I am not sure what to do with the circuit board, or even know if I can make my own.
Note: I'm 16 years old and this is my first dive into working with PICs, custom circuit boards, and microprocessing of any kind so go easy on me. I'm hoping to finish this by x-mas if not well I'm going to take a class on it assuming I can test out of the prereqs since it is an Electric trade class and I'm majoring in animation but I digress....
I'm not too sure on any of this and I'm trying to find a place to learn the specifics online particularly the programming bit for the PIC.

Now then, about the emulator. I'm looking for one that is small in file size, will be able to either automatically load one preloaded rom, or will automatically go to a menu with a selectable list of every preloaded rom on the device. It will be running hopefulling in an MS-DOS environment as I am pretty sure that's what I will have to create on the PIC to run any program. Sound I don't know much about but my friend who knows a fair bit amount this says it should be the easiest part.
Note: This is the part I am fuzziest about, if I am wrong in that assumption or anything I say in this post please tell me.
I assume that nothing like that exists and since this will be a custom device I assume that one will have to be made specifically for it. If that's the case, then I also assume a good deal of it will have to be done in conjunction with the coding of the PIC and if anyone would like to step forward on this bit I'll be in constant communication with you the whole way so that every bit of this is done right. Or, I will make the emulator myself if anyone can show me the basics of it.

I know this is quite an ambitious project, and I'm not expecting to get a wave of people with the knowledge, time, and resources to help me, and that's ok. But I've seen generosity in from the realm of internet forum surfers before, and I'm hoping to see that again. The only thing I'm really hoping even perhaps needing a response on from this forum is the emulator. However, if anyone knows a lot or even a tiny bit about this, I'd love to hear from you.

Recap on what I'd love some help with or a point to where I can learn this for free preferably online.
  • EMULATOR
  • Picking out a suitable PIC
  • Programming the PIC
  • Basics of custom circuit boards (Can I make one myself or do I need to buy one from somewhere?)
  • LCD screen if any will do or if I need to find a specific one.
  • Would it be better to use basic buttons or to shrink down the buttons/circuit board from a real NES controller and use that?
  • Does anyone know the aproximate amount of space I will need? (I don't have the measurements of the case I'm using. Their still in the mail (hooray ebaying gift cards :dry: ) and I couldn't find them online, but I can't imagine it being too much longer or higher than a normal gift card, and I think it's about 1.5-2 cms thick. If I have to modify the case so be it, but I'd prefer not to.)
  • Last question, is MS-DOS the best way to go for the environment to run the emulator in or is there a better alternative.

Again, the only one of those I really need some help with is the emulator bit or it and I figured this is the best place to come. Thank you for reading my overly long and I'm sure quite rambly post, and thank you again to anyone who responds.

Also, you are welcome to email me at ferret4prez@gmail.com, or contact me via MSN Messenger with that same email or via AIM for which my username is FerretPrz. I'm going to post the technical bits of it again at neweggs forum, and if there's anywhere else you think I should post, please let me know. Thanks again, I can't wait to get to work on this. :D

Edit: I almost forgot... HOORAY FIRST POST WOO!

Last edited: