What's the perfect peice of hardware for emulation?

Mikethered

One that combines portability with ease of use/installation and ease of controls?

a laptop? a PSP? a Tablet PC?

What's the best thing to play emulated stuff on?

Jale

That depends on what kind of emulator you are looking after (NES, SNES, N64, PSX, etc...)

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That depends on what kind of emulator you are looking after (NES, SNES, N64, PSX, etc...)

I would go with a laptop. I have an old school 800 mhz with tv out. I can connect it to my home system, or bring it to a friends. I can connect it to my custom fit in docking station I built in my car. Add usb drives, wireless network all the good stuff laptops do. If you have the money it will work the best.

alcoatjez

Capo di Tutti Capi
I would say either a normal PC or a laptop, since most emulators are designed for standard Windows XP. Most emus for Pocket PCs are ports of their Windows counterparts.

Mikethered

I was thinking something PC-based too.

Now, on portability-

Are there any relatively small but powerful "version" of laptops that could run the most popular emulators?

Something smaller than a laptop but bigger than a PSP?

I know M$ was working on something called "Origami" which was basically a handheld functional PC...

Does any concept of that exist now?

TheCreator

the console itself! but on a genuine note, you can get emulators for even mobile phones, particularly the nokia series 60 range for a feasible portable solution, as you're always going to have your mbile on you, although several emulators are shareware. Windows mobile phones also work.