One question about ROMs

Homer

Hi folks,
I have one little question:
Is it legal to download copyrighted ROMs for Nintendo 64 emulators if I own the originals (I own the original Nintendo 64 console and about 15 original games, which I buyed many years ago, including Zelda Orcarina of Time and Majora's Masks, Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Lego Racers, ...).

Thank you in advance!

Homer.:)

//Edit
Oh sorry, i recognised right now that I posted this thread into the false forum, please move it to right one!

Last edited:

Homer

okay, erm, so an other question:
I could connect my Nintendo 64 with my PC. Is there any possibility too transfer the games to the PC as a ROM File, which works with current emulators (only for PRIVATE use).
Or is this illegal, too? :(

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
ok Its not illegal to download a game if you don’t own it. It may not be right but its not illegal. Also it is not illegal to copy a real game to your computer. It is all legal. Not sure about distributing them for free, I would think that’s illegal too. It is however illegal to sell them. Your confused on the term illegal. Legality is a written rule, ethics it was it right and not right. So this is all not ethical ;) but a buyer of a game should have the right to back it up. If you want to back up your games like you asked look for a z64 or doctor64 of the likes. Google it.. It is out there and yes you will need a add on to do it. Just the n64 and a computer is not enough.

Last edited:

Jale

I disagree, ulaoulao. According to the copyright laws every form of copying copyrighted stuff is illegal without the express author's permission.

• Getting a ROM even if you have the original cartridge, it is illegal.
  • Ripping/dumping a ROM/CD it is illegal.
  • That stuff when you download a ROM and you have to delete it within 24 hours if you don't own the original cartridge, it is illegal.

I'm not saying don't get ROMs. Go ahead and do whatever you like, but keep it for personal use.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
You could be right, not sure where the line is drawn. If I have a copy of text book for educational use its ok, but still illegal. Yet we teach that way?? I guess the best way to say it is. If you didn’t buy it, it is illegal to obtain it. If you bought it and copy it, that is illegal. So any one that does system back ups BEWARE!! mahahahaha!!! Because technicality, that is copyrighted software and illegal.

Zach

Once again I have to save the day..

24 hour rule is BS.
If you own a physical copy of a game, you are NOT entitled to a ROM image you did not make from YOUR copy. (Same goes for CD's)
You are legally entitled to a backup image of your physical copy if YOU make the backup from YOUR copy on your own backup hardware. As far as ROM images are concerned, most backup devices are illegal to own, but you can skirt the law by building a generic reader/backup device yourself and dumping your game with it.

There is one company in existance that I know of who has done this with their owned copies of old games, used in their Internet rental/play site. They've thus far received one cease and desist letter from Nintendo, but after replying with information on how their service is operated and how they obtain their ROM images, they have yet to be shut down or challenged legally by Nintendo in any way. I've done a lot of reading and digging around and have never found anything contrary to the information I've posted.

Last edited: