whats your favrite next gen console & how is going to win the console war

sprdude3232

the idiot of nothing new
the title explains it self. its for people to post anything they want about the next gen consoles and who do you think is gointo the best or the worst. Well I'm a big nintendo fan so I'll say that the wii will be in second after the xbox360 and that the ps3 is in last because of its price.

Xiedo

All I know is I own a 360 and enjoy it, I may buy a Wii if I try it and like it, and I can't afford a PS3.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
PS3
PS3 has a few flaws IMHO. Blue-Ray may be nice and all, if you don't have a HDTV
(and countless of people still don't) then it's not going to make much difference over DVD
and in that case it makes no sense to pay so much for game console.

It's also a little early to say which format will win the format war anyway (if there
is even going to be a winner, like with DVD+/-R). With the Xbox 360 you have the option
of using it as a cheap HD-DVD player, but if you don't want it... you can leave it out.
No such deal on the PS3 though: it's Blue-Ray or bust.

Then there is the issue of games. Lots of nice-sounding games have been announced,
but how much good games will really be available is not yet know. The PS3 can probably
lift on the success it's predecessor and get lots of developer support though, so eventually
there are probably going to be lots of good games for the PS3.

Last problem for the PS3 is that ALL previous first-release models of Playstations has
exhibited some kind of problems: PS1 had heat/optical unit issues, PS2 had optical unit
issues, and PSP had dead-pixel issues. With so many new parts and a complex new
optical unit in it, I expect a lot of issues with early model PS3's. That along with the
price is another good reason to wait.

Xbox 360
Then there is the Xbox 360. It's a pretty good console, however right now it has one
major flaw: relatively few good games are available for it. This is expected to improve
significantly in the next year or so though.

In terms of hardware issues the Xbox also seems far from trouble free: there are some
reports of overheating Xbox 360's. Microsoft claims 5% failure rate, but whether that's
true or false remains to be seen: I've seen one guy claiming he was on his 5th Xbox 360!
(the fact that in the US the Xbox 360 only has 90 days warranty isn't great either)

Last thing is the price: 399 euro/dollar isn't that bad, but personally I'll probably wait
for the next hardware revision (less chance of failure), more good games and a price
drop before I'll buy one.

Wii
Wii has it's flaws too: an image issue ("Nintendo is for kids") and a power-issue, as
as anyone knows the Wii is the least powerful console of the three.

I suppose with all the good publicity the Wii is getting the developer support will hopefully
be better than that of the GameCube, which ended up few good games for it IMHO.

Another issue is the Wii controller. It's a great novelity. But the thing is: you either like it
or hate it. If you like it, Nintendo has you hooked, as no competitor is offering the same.
If you don't like it however... then you'll probably won't touch the system all together.
The thing is: how many people won't like the Wii controller and how many will?

Round-Up
I got all consoles in the current generation: bought my PS2 some years after release
when the price had dropped and availability was better (I don't hope the PS3 is going
to be a repeat of the PS2 in this regard), I bought a GameCube on the European launch
day, but haven't played with it much and I just very recently bought a Xbox to get all the good
games I didn't realize it had (like SW:KOTOR).

Assuming I'll get all consoles again this time around (probably not, it costs a lot of course)
then I predict this order of purchase:

Wii -- soon after launch, probably Q1 2007
Xbox 360 -- after hardware revision & price drop, Q3-Q4 2007
PS3 -- after significant price drop, probably sometime 2008

Jale

Good review. Personally I'd like only one of the three consoles.

And yeah, I don't own any of the current gen (no GameCube, No PS2, No Xbox). The only thing I have close to the Xbox's performance is my PC.

sprdude3232

the idiot of nothing new
I might get a nintendo wii but then if the prize drops for the 360 I would get it to. But the ps3 is A bit to expensive for me anyway. I love to get the ps3 but I might no so I'm sticking to the wii I love nintendos inavations and games.:D

malfunkshun

well, i have a 360. yeah, there aren't a lot of games for it yet, but so far i'm having a great time. my main gripe is the backwards compatibility issue, this should be an ubiquitous feature for all regular xbox games.

the ps3 is ridiculously priced for technology that i could give a rats ass about. i'll pass until the price hits 199.

the wii... that controller. YUCK. if i wanted to stand up and swing an object when i play games, i'd play tennis or golf. when i play video games, i want to be seated comfortably in my air conditioned living room. however, i have heard that the game cube controller will work with the wii. if this is a built in feature for all nintendo games, then i'll be just fine with the wii... however, nintendo has been in 3rd place now for years and i don't think they'll be re-taking the console crown.

my vote is for the 360, for two reasons. the ps3 is outrageously priced and the wii is weird.

sprdude3232

the idiot of nothing new
I do think youur right with the 360 in 1st but what would you put the ps3 and wii. For me I would put the ps3 in last!!!! hardly anyone would want to pay for its outrages prices...
the wii in second I love nintendo and all but I really don't see good fighting games and racing games but the rest of the game topics are ok. Thats why its in second but if it had better fighters, racers, and better graghics I'll put it in 1st

Last edited:

malfunkshun

I do think youur right with the 360 in 1st but what would you put the ps3 and wii. For me I would put the ps3 in last!!!! hardly anyone would want to pay for its outrages prices... the wii in second I love nintendo and all but I really don't see good fighting games and racing games but the rest of the game topics are ok. Thats why its in second but if it had better fighters, racers, and better graghics I'll put it in 1st

XBox 360 - first
Nintendo Wii - second
Playstation 3 - third

i put sony in last place based solely on the price of the ps3. and could somebody please tell me why blu-ray is worth 600 dollars, and how its going to make my games so much better? i admit, i don't understand a lot about it, only that its some new type of dvd storage that increases capacity by a magnitude, or something to that effect. do i have this basically correct here? why again do i need this much storage?

and for nintendo... if it weren't for the ridiculous price of the ps3, i'd put Nintendo in 3rd place. i think they are shooting themselves in the foot, as they always do, going against the grain for the sake of 'innovation'. they did with the N64, basing it on cartridges (faster load times, they said). they did it with the gamecube, completely ignoring online gameplay. they're doing it with the DS, with that worthless stylus. and they're going to do it again with the wii, with this odd controller setup. innovation is great, but when are these guys going to learn that they need to appeal to more than a niche market? you'd think they had already figured that out back in the NES/SNES days.

Last edited:

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
I think Sony is trying to force a Blue-Ray DVD player into everyone's home by intergrating
it with the PS3. Sure a few games might need more space than a dual layer DVD can provide
(which is over 7 Gigs!), but I doubt many really do. And for those huge games that do need
more space, I'm sure we could have lived with swapping discs one or two times during the game.

So er... the way I see it Blue Ray has no real purpose in the PS3 for gaming purposes,
unless it's to allow more FMV movies, which er... isn't what gaming is about. Of course
Sony is trying to get away with it by positioning the PS3 as an "entertainment device" of sorts.

As for you comment on Nintendo: hold on. You may not like them, but that "DS with worthless
stylus" you are talking about IS selling like madness (in Japan at least, and that's one region
that counts). Like I said: there will be people who won't like the Wii controller, but I
think you should wait with your judgement about it until you've tried it.

You also mentioned the GameCube ignored online gameplay: well, the PS2 was pretty
crappy concerning online gaming as well, and that didn't hurt it much. It looks like the Wii
will require a permanent Internet connection, and I'm sure they'll put it to use. The only
problem I forsee is the way the online play will work: the "friends" system of the DS is nice,
but doesn't work if you just want to play against some random person in the world.

malfunkshun

i never said i didn't like Nintendo. i was merely pointing out what i think are some of their more stupid maneuvers in the past present and future. i don't want nintendo to go under, 3 big players in the game console market is just enough to guarantee some healthy competition, and choice is always good.

and the reason why the ps2 didn't suffer for lack of online gameplay is because sony had already firmly entrenched itself in the number one spot with 5 years of being the top dog with the ps1. they could afford a mistake or two, nintendo couldn't.

i hope nintendo gets it right with the wii, i don't want to see them go the way of sega. one guaranteed safety measure they could implement would be compatibility with the GC controller for ALL of their games. i dunno how they could force 3rd party developers to adhere to a rule like that, but still it should be an option for every game. restricting the gameplay on the wii to this unproven new 'nunchuk-remote' controller is automatically going to put off a lot of potential customers who are naturally going to be more comfortable with a traditional controller. it might be fun to swing that remote thing like a golf club a couple of times, but i definitely wouldn't want to have to play like that every time i pop in tiger woods 2007.

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
i hope nintendo gets it right with the wii, i don't want to see them go the way of sega. one guaranteed safety measure they could implement would be compatibility with the GC controller for ALL of their games. i dunno how they could force 3rd party developers to adhere to a rule like that, but still it should be an option for every game. restricting the gameplay on the wii to this unproven new 'nunchuk-remote' controller is automatically going to put off a lot of potential customers who are naturally going to be more comfortable with a traditional controller. it might be fun to swing that remote thing like a golf club a couple of times, but i definitely wouldn't want to have to play like that every time i pop in tiger woods 2007.
I don't think that will happen; I think a lot of games for the Wii will make special use of
the Wii controller, and won't really work well without it.

Though, if Nintendo doesn't force compatibility with a GameCube controller, I forsee third party
hardware manufacturers coming up with something that is recognized as a Wii controller by the
Wii, but functions like a normal controller. But still, I think quite a few games will depend on
the movement sensors of the original controller.

belmont

Though, if Nintendo doesn't force compatibility with a GameCube controller, I forsee third party
hardware manufacturers coming up with something that is recognized as a Wii controller by the
Wii, but functions like a normal controller.

If I remember correctly the Wii will have a normal controller. I haven't seen any photos of it but I hope it won't be like the GameCube one. The GC joypad is the worst joypad ever made for a console. I stopped playing Metroid Prime and Final Fantasy CC due to the strange layout of the buttons.

From this gaming era I only had a GBA. the other consoles seemed pretty expensive for me. I got a PS2 when it dropped at 280 euro. Then I bought a GBA SP (149) and a GC (230).

Apart from GBA (this was the console I played more) I mostly played my PS2 (RPG's,Silent Hill,Castlevania,2d shoot-em-ups,Sonic games). I got many original games (about 20) and really liked them very much. I got a GC due to the new Zelda and Resident Evil games (well I didn't know that the Wind Waker would be kind of crap and that RE4 would also appear at the PS2). I also hated the GC cotroller. Anyway I bought about 10 games and apart from Metroid Prime I enjoyed then. I prefer PS2 because GC didn't have any jRPG games (there were only 2 or 3). I never played an X-BOX.

For the next era now...

I don't think that 360 has the games that everyone wants yet.
I didn't like the new control system for the Wii.Ninty doesn't have much money for hardware developement so it tries to be rennovative.
I really didn't like the DS stylus control system although the 2 screens idea was good. Having played a lot DS games I can say that the good ones don't use the stylus. I don't think that Wii will be more successful than N64 or GC. Many lost their trust on Ninty.

About PS3 know...It may have an unaffordable price but will have many famous games such as Final Fantasy and Metal Gear. Since I recently got a DSLite, a GBA micro and a PSP and I want to get the final top class games for PS2 and GC (Final Fantasy 12, Digre of Cerberus, Xenosaga 3, Zelda : TP) and some more portable titles I won't be able to afford a new console for about 3 years. My first console will surely be a PS3(Well I love FF games). I don't really know if I'll get a Wii but I surely won't buy an X-BOX 360.

Jale

If I remember correctly the Wii will have a normal controller. I haven't seen any photos of it but I hope it won't be like the GameCube one.
This is the controller you're talking about:

wii_vcc.png

I'm not sure if this is a prototype or the real thing. The only thing I know is that it's for the Virtual Console only (it has more or less the layout of a PlayStation controller). I'm not sure if this can be used for GameCube games though.

PD: I'm starting to fucking hate imageshack.us. It's damn slow.

Zach

I'm routing for Nintendo. The new philosophy that games should be fun and graphics not as important sits well with me, as well as the much cheaper price tag. I'm sorry but for $600 or anywhere close to that, I hope PS3 tanks and no one buys it.

sprdude3232

the idiot of nothing new
i never said i didn't like Nintendo. i was merely pointing out what i think are some of their more stupid maneuvers in the past present and future. i don't want nintendo to go under, 3 big players in the game console market is just enough to guarantee some healthy competition, and choice is always good.
i.

you got a point nintndo did make stupid moves well hopely th wii isn't a complete dumd move but hey time will tell. Speaking of the wii price tag has been released with realese date of the wii!!!!!! Its going to cost $250 and the realaese date is NOV.19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zach

Also folks should realize, Nintendo will never die. People in Japan will buy anything they release, and that is more than enough to keep them going.

Xiedo

Companies adapt to stay profitable. Nintendo screwed up with N64 carts. Then they screwed up with going after the same market with less pull (Gamecube). They've alienated themselves so far from the mainstream gamer that following in the footsteps of Microsoft and Sony would throw Nintendo out of consoles for good. They're not a powerhouse that has it's selection of all the best developers anymore. I think they're actually being very smart for a change. By offering something completely different and marketing a product that appeals to a different audience, they're forging new ground instead of vainly making up for past mistakes. Since they have no chance of getting the best games, they're making the different games.

sprdude3232

the idiot of nothing new
Also folks should realize, Nintendo will never die. People in Japan will buy anything they release, and that is more than enough to keep them going.

ya that is true nintendo ghas been in the video game industry a long time... Like for 20 years and it still lives!!!!!!