The Ultimate Adapter

asfan42069

Hi there!

I have dreams of making an Ulitmate Adapter. This adapter will consist of:

-----(still need plans for)-----
4 Genises Controller ports
2 or 4 NES cotroller ports (dependant on wether there are any 4 player NES games)
4 N64 controller ports

-----(already thought about)-----
2 or 4 SNES controller ports (dependant on wether there are any 4 player SNES games)
4 PS2 controller ports
4 Dreamcast controller ports
4 Gamecube cntroller ports
4 x-box contoller ports

maybe more. i cant think right now.

anyway i want them all to work on 1 or 2 usb ports. if it takes more, no biggie. but my goal is one or 2. after i get all the cable and such, i will try to stuff them into a power supply case and then cut out the approriate sized holes on one side of the case. that way it turns into one big adapter in a grey case with minimal cordage. i have found parts for the Xbox, Ps2, GC, DC and SNES. i still need the others.

PS2/DC/GC stuff:
if i get 4 Trio Linker PLUS then i can have 4 ps2, GC, and DC controller on 4 usb ports. that routed thru a powered 4 port usb hub becomes 1 usb port.

Xbox stuff:

if i get one Super Joybox 11 then i can have my xbox ports.

SNES stuff:

i can get a powered 4 port USB hub and 4 super smarjoy adapters.

if anyone knows anything about anything a response would be great. thanks!

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
I made one, It has 4 psx, 4 n64, two nes, two snes. its has prevision for atari and seg. I'm making this next. Basically I have on usb coming in. to a 4 port hub, then a small 4 port for each. Then I run the inner two wires to a 8 switch (rotary) Its like a dream!!, Ill post pictures to night. Some emulators will let you switch during game play!! If you want we can hook up on making this, since my new design is going to have 4 of everything. I was going to sell them but it would cost around 200 just to make the money back on all the adapter I need. BTW: snes adapters work with nes, and n64 work with psx, you just need to know how its done.

Last edited:

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That is the thing.. it would not be cheep to make, unless we could do a group by at lik-sang. The box and hubs alone are up there.. If we all put are heads together we could get them cheaper I think..

the brake down I may have missed something here:
please correct my pricing..

box - 15$
4 n64 (i would suggest adaptiods) 4x30 120$
4 psx (on could go with the psx/n64 and skip the above) 16x4 64$
4 snes(this will work with the nes, but you need to get the male plugs out of a nes system, since there are none online thus far.)4x25 100$
5 small usb 4 port hubs. 5x9 45$
labor -- hard to say.. I think 100 a unti is fair, but the more I make at once the better. I could write up a how to I would guess.
also wires and solder switch.. 10$
also there are more adapter out there that can be added with not much troube

ok so we are up to around 500 a box. See my point?

What it can do.. The switch on top changes the theme. So 4 snes or 4 n64 or 4 psx. I don’t have the option to allow one guy on psx and one on n64. I did it that way because that is getting past the idea of using the original pads. Some emulators will let you change on the fly. It is completely potable and it is usb so it wordk on mac’s and linux also(HID) Also There is a was to make it work on the x-box. I'm working on a way to sense the signal and if a pad is pulled out the system/emu pauses. I'm open to ideas and love a challenge.

m_lovitt

Humble noob
thats apretty nice set up!! I love it!! Ever concider using a serial port insted of a USB? I've seen it done so that it looks like part of the tower not an added perf.
I did not build this and I cannot take cerdit but I would like to do something like this with 2 snes (as shown) then 2 genesis, 2 N.E.S. and a N64 and psx ports as well
idea.jpg

I think the set up is really "clean"
~M.L.~

ulaoulao

Controller Man
Staff member
That does look nice. But I like the portability, and I also have the cable going to my tv, so it is just like a real system. Actually I have fooled 25 people so far.

this is the part that really ticks me off, is If I could order the parts at cost I could make theses for 100$... that retro site wont email me back on bulk ordering. Damn shame, but I guess we all want to make money

Last edited: