PSP Downgrader Discussion

Stash23

Basically what the title askes for.... Is there any PSP downgraders from 2.7 to 2.0 or 1.5?

GHDpro

Administrator
Staff member
Re: PSP Downgrader from 2.7 to 2.0 or 1.5

Afaik NO.

But there was recently an exploit discovered that allowed code to be run in all
versions of the PSP firmware from v2.0 and up. That code ran in "user mode" though,
while certain applications will need "kernel mode" access to the PSP.

http://pspupdates.qj.net/category/Firmware/cid/57

Er... second article on that link actually DO lists a downgrader, but only if your PSP
is "old enough" -- as I suspected newer revisions of the PSP are locked out of downgrading.

But er... have a look at that site...

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

There is a downgrader for firmware 2.71 which can take you back to 1.5 (You can then upgrade again to which firmware you like, you can even downgrade again to 1.00)

This is part of a guide im creating that will help you to downgrade from what ever firmware your on (Except 2.8 and so long as your PSP motherboard is compatible)

First check that your PSP is compatible
Turn your PSP around so that you are facing the UMD drive. Open the drive and if you can see on the green PCB in the top right corner “IC1003” then your PSP has the motherboard version TA-082 and cannot be downgraded.

At present someone is working on a downgrader to 1.5 for TA-082 but in will require modified firmware files for each individual PSP.

1.5 Help instruction
These step ae to be preformed on a PSP that has firmware 1.5
No other version will work.

1. Download the helper program from
http://rapidshare.de/files/31704667/1.50_HELPER_for_2.71.zip.html

2. Extract the contents somewhere safe.

3.Copy the two files downhelper and downhelper% (They’re Kxploited) to
X:/PSP/GAME.

4. Download the 1.5 update, extract it and copy it into X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE.
http://rapidshare.de/files/31715261/EBOOT_1.50.zip.html

Your memory stick should look like this -
X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP (1.5 Update)
X:/PSP/GAME/downhelper/EBOOT.PBP
X:/PSP/GAME/downhelper%/EBOOT.PBP

5. From the XMB go to
Game>Memory Stick>downhelper (Ignore the corrupted file)

6. Let the program run. It will dump files from the update.
After it has finished, you should have a new folder on your memory stick called DOWNDATER.

7. Send this folder to your friend who is trying to downgrader from 2.71.

2.71 User instructions
I recommend that you perform these steps on a freshly formatted memory stick. Backup your important stuff first!

1. To format go to Settings>System Settings>Format Memory Stick

2. Copy the folder DOWNDATER (The folder your friend sent you) to the root of your memory stick

3. Download the downgrader from
http://rapidshare.de/files/31705805/downdater271.rar.html

4.Extract the zip file and copy the file hw.tif to X:/PSP/PHOTO and copy the file
d.bin to the root of your memory stick.

5.Plug the charger in and check that your battery is over half full.

6.On the XMB go to Photo and your PSP should freeze
If your screen has gone red then the downgrader is working. Leave the
program to run and don’t take the charger or battery out. After a while the
PSP will reset its self.

7. Im not too sure if this happens with this downgrade but on the old GTA method of downgrading, after downgrading you would get a disc reading error. If this happen just take the battery out and put it back in.

8.Congratulations you are on 1.5

It isn’t necessary but I recommend that you update to 2.00 and downgrade
via the MPH downgrader. Updating to 2.00 and downgrading will
give you your own firmware files and not a dump from other people.

Stash23

Okay well, um, I could kinda grasp on what is being told here but now I have a question.... For one, these instructions:

1.5 Help instruction
These step ae to be preformed on a PSP that has firmware 1.5
No other version will work.

1. Download the helper program from
http://rapidshare.de/files/31704667/1.50_HELPER_for_2.71.zip.html

2. Extract the contents somewhere safe.

3.Copy the two files downhelper and downhelper% (They’re Kxploited) to
X:/PSP/GAME.

4. Download the 1.5 update, extract it and copy it into X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE.
http://rapidshare.de/files/31715261/EBOOT_1.50.zip.html

Your memory stick should look like this -
X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE/EBOOT.PBP (1.5 Update)
X:/PSP/GAME/downhelper/EBOOT.PBP
X:/PSP/GAME/downhelper%/EBOOT.PBP

5. From the XMB go to
Game>Memory Stick>downhelper (Ignore the corrupted file)

6. Let the program run. It will dump files from the update.
After it has finished, you should have a new folder on your memory stick called DOWNDATER.

7. Send this folder to your friend who is trying to downgrader from 2.71.

...would seem that I would need to have a PSP with firmware version 1.5. Unforunatly for me, I don't have that.

And these instructions:

2.71 User instructions
I recommend that you perform these steps on a freshly formatted memory stick. Backup your important stuff first!

1. To format go to Settings>System Settings>Format Memory Stick

2. Copy the folder DOWNDATER (The folder your friend sent you) to the root of your memory stick

3. Download the downgrader from
http://rapidshare.de/files/31705805/downdater271.rar.html

4.Extract the zip file and copy the file hw.tif to X:/PSP/PHOTO and copy the file
d.bin to the root of your memory stick.

5.Plug the charger in and check that your battery is over half full.

6.On the XMB go to Photo and your PSP should freeze
If your screen has gone red then the downgrader is working. Leave the
program to run and don’t take the charger or battery out. After a while the
PSP will reset its self.

7. Im not too sure if this happens with this downgrade but on the old GTA method of downgrading, after downgrading you would get a disc reading error. If this happen just take the battery out and put it back in.

8.Congratulations you are on 1.5

It isn’t necessary but I recommend that you update to 2.00 and downgrade
via the MPH downgrader. Updating to 2.00 and downgrading will
give you your own firmware files and not a dump from other people.

...would need the DOWNDATER from the PSP firmware 1.5. If by any chance I've seem to have lost you with the posts above; what I'm trying to say is that the DOWNDATER folder would be created off of firmware 1.5, which i don't have.

The second set of instructions would seem almost perfect expect for two things... I have firmware 2.70 that im trying to downgrade (sorry for the confusion) not 2.71 (I don't know if the process would still be compatible with 2.70 but I'm not going to take chances). AND... the DOWNDATER folder is a necessity , which I can't obtain because I would need 1.5 to create it. If anything, (LOL), if you (or anyone) could help me with my problem, I'd really appreicate it. Oh and by-the-way, if I read your instructions wrong TchuBacha, please help me in anyway possible. If you have to, please clarify and everythign you've written.

PS: Thanks so much for your support and hope the guide is a success.

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

1. The first instructions are for create a dump of the 1.5 firmware files which can only be preformed on a psp with firmware 1.5.

2. If your on 2.7 then you can upgrade to 2.71 (Dont update past 2.71, because 2.8 cant be downgraded)

3. Check your PSP motherboard version first. If you atempt to downgrade the wrong motherboard (I.E one with "IC1003" on the inside of the UMD) the PSP will brick (Break).

ramzak

so then you need a buddie with 1.5 -_- um could someone give me the 1.5 required files? chewbacca can i ask for your help(Il mail u my email)??

belmont

If you search you can easily find sites that have full packs of the downgrader with all the required files included.

hailey-04

I need the 1.50 down dater folder!!! What sites can I get the folder from? and if it is the wrong folder what would happen to my psp? How do I know it's the right folder?

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

I need the 1.50 down dater folder!!! What sites can I get the folder from? and if it is the wrong folder what would happen to my psp? How do I know it's the right folder?

I think the program that does the reflashing of the NAND chip check the folder to see if it has the correct files in the correct places. I cant give you a link to in cos it contains copyright material from sony. Just google for DOWNDATER and youll eventully find it.

hailey-04

Re: PSP Downgrader from 2.71 to 1.5

I downloaded a file from the internet and it says [DOWNDATER100] is that the folder i need to get from a friend? If not can MY friend send it to me!!:p

Last edited:

al-medic

i have followed the directions given above but to my disbelief the psp in question has become a brick.

does anyone have any idea what has happened and is there anyway of getting it back to its former glory.

living in hope as it wasnt my psp

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

i have followed the directions given above but to my disbelief the psp in question has become a brick.

does anyone have any idea what has happened and is there anyway of getting it back to its former glory.

living in hope as it wasnt my psp

:verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :verysad:

Did you check your motherboard version first? if it has IC1003 on the inside of the UMD drive then thats the reason it bricked. If it doesnt then something has happened in the flashing and the sysem cant start up because crucial files are missing. You have a couple of option available

1. Buy the Undiluted Platinum Modchip. This modchip can store a copy of a firmware on its own NAND chip and be able to reflash the PSP NAND chip. But were only a few hundred of these made and they are very difficult to install.

2. Send it back to $ony and say your PSP has stopped work. They might give you a replacement if its still in waranty or charge you to fix it. But they will probably upgrade you to 2.81 leaving you out of reach of homebrew.

3. Buy a new one.

P.S. Is there any display on the screen at all. Some people mistake the blue screen of death as a bricked PSP.

al-medic

thanks for your prompt reply.

the mother board had no markings at all so i dont think it was that. as for the screen it is black.

the guys who owns the brick only brought it i february so will be returning it to the shop he got it from as he still has the receipt.

thanks again for your reply.

newbie-zach

i'm planning to buy my own psp and i'm bothered of the versions it has. as i read on this forum, many wants to downgrade their psp's to version 1.5. is there anything special with v1.5 that the latest higher versions don't have? hope you can give me immediate feedback....

Thanks a lot!

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

if you get a PSP thats between 1.51 and 2.71 then you can downgrader to any firmware (So long as it is a TA-082, downgrading a TA-082 will brick your PSP), 2.8 can run limited homebrew and 2.81 cant run any homebrew.

Most homebrew for PSP that is out was created with 1.5 in mind, a simple modificate of the source code and it can run on the other firmware (I.E 2.70)

newbie-zach

actually, i really don't understand is this TA-082 the one imprinted on the PCB? sorry if i'm a bit slow in picking up. i just want to make sure that i'll not regret buying a piece of equipment i can't maximize. because several gamers already told me that only version 1.5 can play games from a memory stick?

Thanks again! =)

TchuBacha

I am the Stig

actually, i really don't understand is this TA-082 the one imprinted on the PCB? sorry if i'm a bit slow in picking up. i just want to make sure that i'll not regret buying a piece of equipment i can't maximize. because several gamers already told me that only version 1.5 can play games from a memory stick?

Thanks again! =)

The TA-082 is a PSP with the letters and numbers "IC1003" on the inside of the UMD drive. a TA-082 cant be downgrade below 2.5 (IT will brick.break if you try) therefore out of reach of most of the available homebrew such as playing downloaded games off the memory stick. 1.0/1.5 has full homebrew on it but recently 2.71 has been hacked and can run all the software 1.0/1.5 can. If you're going to get a PSP get one that is firmware 2.71 or below, 2.80 can run limited homebrew, 2.81 cant run any.

Funkatron

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/369035

heres a bit of a guide to what psp motherboard you might have and how far back you could potentially downgrade it

im not saying "look he downgraded his psp so yours must work" im saying there is a bit more info to do with downgrading than just firmware versions

k3v1nlam

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Can I or can I NOT downgrade from 2.71 to 1.5 if I have the "IC3001" chip? The confusion that I have was because I believe one of the responses said 2.71 can be downgrade to and not below 2.5, but can it be done with the "IC3001" chip? Anyone can clarify this? Thanks