VBA Saved Game -> VBA Link?

komuroto

From what I know about VBA and the VBA link the only thing you can do is start your game over, but play on the VBA that game with the link zip you downloaded (i mean already owned ofcourse ;]) But anyways, if you play from there you will have no problems. The VBA, and the VBAlink are just not compatible (I assume its because one is an older version.)

Cheejyg

LOL, you guys are lucky I chanced upon this thread when I was having the same problem.

I'll show you how to do it in the next reply......

EDIT: HOPE IT'S STILL USEFUL AFTER 7 MONTHS!! ROFLOLMAO!!!! =D

Last edited:

Cheejyg

First, what you want to do is start up VirtualBoyAdvanced.exe (VBA)
Secondly, open [File -> Open] OR [Ctrl + O] the game (.gba/.gbc/.zip) you want to export to VirtualBoyAdvancedLink (VBALink)
Third, load [File -> Load...] OR [Ctrl + L] OR [File -> Load Game -> *] OR [F1] your savedata/savegame/savefile/data for the game.
Then, what you want to do is SAVE it again but wait, if you're using the [Shift + F*] OR [File -> Save...] OR [File -> Save Game -> *] initially to save/load your game (which is the .sgm file), DON'T.

This time what you want is to save within the game itself (e.g. Pok?mon [*Start* - > *Save*])

After you've saved your game, what you want to do is export [File -> Export -> Battery File...] the battery file (which would be a .sav file)

Then, you can go ahead and run VBALink
Subsequently, Open [File -> Open] OR [Ctrl + O] the game.
When you've opened the game, you want to import [File -> Import -> Battery File...] the previously saved battery file (.sav)

A message will appear and it reads "Importing a snapshot file will erase any saved games and reset the emulator. Do you want to continue?"
Just click "Ok" (BTW, I'm not entirely sure that it would "erase" your savegames or not.... mine doesn't but still it's a good idea to backup your savegames (.sgm))

After you've clicked "Ok", the game will reset and you can load (NOT THE SAVEGAME .sgm file) the game in the new emulator by using the "continue" option in the game itself.

NOTE: If you cannot save a game in the game itself then probably you can't export it to the new VBALink

TONYbuckets

How come I can't save within the game? (Pokemon Fire Red).

I just started a game of Fire Red on the original VBA (no link), I don't mind starting a new game using VBA-Link, so I did. Problem is, I can't save within the game itself, and it sounds like you need to be able to do that in order to use the link feature. Everytime I load Pokemon Fire Red, it acts as if its never loaded before, it automatically starts a new game. It also says at the start "M-1 circuit board is diabled", when I try to save within the game, it says "save error: please exchange the backup memory"

To quote Jerry Seinfeld, 'what's the deal!?!"

Cheejyg

good Cheejyg..i just have an account to say thank you...god bless you...Thanks from Turkey ;)

Haha, you're welcome! (from Singapore) xD

How come I can't save within the game? (Pokemon Fire Red).

I just started a game of Fire Red on the original VBA (no link), I don't mind starting a new game using VBA-Link, so I did. Problem is, I can't save within the game itself, and it sounds like you need to be able to do that in order to use the link feature. Everytime I load Pokemon Fire Red, it acts as if its never loaded before, it automatically starts a new game. It also says at the start "M-1 circuit board is diabled", when I try to save within the game, it says "save error: please exchange the backup memory"

To quote Jerry Seinfeld, 'what's the deal!?!"

I think you have a "bugged" ROM..

shimmi

Cheejyg thanks for the effort of trying to help us!!! ♥ But...

I STILL CAN'T DO IT!!! $0

I did everything everyone told us to do. I even downloaded 4 different ROMs because you said that if you couldn't save the game into the game file it's probably because your ROM is bugged.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Cordetta

thanks Cheejyg, I understand all the importing and exporting stuff, but when I go onto VBA link, a notice comes up in the game that " the save file is corrupted. The previous save file will be loaded." Can anyone help out with this issue? It's rather frustrating.

Animeman1000

Okay I figured it out. But this is a little different.

Open game in VBA and load your save file.
File ----> Open Rom
File ----> Load Game or F1
Then go to Options ---> Emulator-----> Save Type-----> Make sure it's on Flash 128k
Then save it like on a regular GBA in the game. Start----> Save-----> Yes. Done
Go to File------> Export----> Battery. Now just save it. Now go to where it's saved. It should be the one with .SAV in capital letters. Now you want to rename it. For example------> My Pokemon saved battery is called NaranjaEnglishB2.SAV (A hack called Pokemon Orange, but the name is in Spanish). So you would rename it like this NaranjaEnglishB2.sa1. Doesn't matter if it's capitalized or not.
Now open VBA Link-----> File-----> Open-----> NaranjaEnglishB2.rom
Then go to File---------> Import--------> Battery-----> NaranjaEnglishB2.sa1
Importing a Snapshot file will erase any saved games and reset the emulator. Do you want to continue?------------> Yes
Then wait for it to get to the Continue/Start New Game/Options Screen. And there should be a continue. Click Continue and now you can save.
Shift F1.

If you followed it like that you should have no problem. If you have any questions message me or reply. Peace from the East. :)
Also if this doesn't work for you then it might be because it's the latest from the vba link website. The one with with both wifi/lan, cause that's how I had to do it for it to work.
Now if only I can get the stupid linking system to work. I can never trade. It keeps going to errors. Screw it I'll just go back to regular VBA.

Last edited:

Braxium

Still a problem- I could export and import the game, but when I had to open the second window to make the fake connection, the second window with the export crashed while saving, showing the bag thing with the watch under it, which means the save file is corrupted during the game. Some help please?

eggmancorp

First, what you want to do is start up VirtualBoyAdvanced.exe (VBA)
Secondly, open [File -> Open] OR [Ctrl + O] the game (.gba/.gbc/.zip) you want to export to VirtualBoyAdvancedLink (VBALink)
Third, load [File -> Load...] OR [Ctrl + L] OR [File -> Load Game -> *] OR [F1] your savedata/savegame/savefile/data for the game.
Then, what you want to do is SAVE it again but wait, if you're using the [Shift + F*] OR [File -> Save...] OR [File -> Save Game -> *] initially to save/load your game (which is the .sgm file), DON'T.

This time what you want is to save within the game itself (e.g. Pok?mon [*Start* - > *Save*])

After you've saved your game, what you want to do is export [File -> Export -> Battery File...] the battery file (which would be a .sav file)

Then, you can go ahead and run VBALink
Subsequently, Open [File -> Open] OR [Ctrl + O] the game.
When you've opened the game, you want to import [File -> Import -> Battery File...] the previously saved battery file (.sav)

A message will appear and it reads "Importing a snapshot file will erase any saved games and reset the emulator. Do you want to continue?"
Just click "Ok" (BTW, I'm not entirely sure that it would "erase" your savegames or not.... mine doesn't but still it's a good idea to backup your savegames (.sgm))

After you've clicked "Ok", the game will reset and you can load (NOT THE SAVEGAME .sgm file) the game in the new emulator by using the "continue" option in the game itself.

NOTE: If you cannot save a game in the game itself then probably you can't export it to the new VBALink
I actually registered to this board just so I could let you know no it's not too late and yes you've helped me when everything else failed. Your explanation was perfect, the only reason it didn't work right away was because I had to remove the old VisualBoyAdvance.exe from it's folder and put in the VBA-link.exe in it's place (it's called VisualBoyAdvance.exe as well so it can get confusing) Anyways, THANKS A LOT LOSING 30+ hours of Pokemon raising would really SUCK :)))))) Now having a complete Pokedex can be a reality!

AyoP

Okay I figured it out. But this is a little different.

Open game in VBA and load your save file.
File ----> Open Rom
File ----> Load Game or F1
Then go to Options ---> Emulator-----> Save Type-----> Make sure it's on Flash 128k
Then save it like on a regular GBA in the game. Start----> Save-----> Yes. Done
Go to File------> Export----> Battery. Now just save it. Now go to where it's saved. It should be the one with .SAV in capital letters. Now you want to rename it. For example------> My Pokemon saved battery is called NaranjaEnglishB2.SAV (A hack called Pokemon Orange, but the name is in Spanish). So you would rename it like this NaranjaEnglishB2.sa1. Doesn't matter if it's capitalized or not.
Now open VBA Link-----> File-----> Open-----> NaranjaEnglishB2.rom
Then go to File---------> Import--------> Battery-----> NaranjaEnglishB2.sa1
Importing a Snapshot file will erase any saved games and reset the emulator. Do you want to continue?------------> Yes
Then wait for it to get to the Continue/Start New Game/Options Screen. And there should be a continue. Click Continue and now you can save.
Shift F1.

If you followed it like that you should have no problem. If you have any questions message me or reply. Peace from the East. :)
Also if this doesn't work for you then it might be because it's the latest from the vba link website. The one with with both wifi/lan, cause that's how I had to do it for it to work.
Now if only I can get the stupid linking system to work. I can never trade. It keeps going to errors. Screw it I'll just go back to regular VBA.

This is my history: 10 years ago (or 9? can't remember) I started playing Pokemon Sapphire. (I had Pokemon Yellow at GB pocket already). Loved it. Since then, I have been occasionally playing Pokemon at the VBA, doing long runs and always falling in love again and again, starting new games. However, when it come to Pokemon Emerald, the best game with great interaction (planting the berries, capturing and etc, all of the best) I had this problem that after the League, couldn't play anymore. Didn't cross my mind to search for it until this very last weeks, after seeing a post at 9gag about it.

Did it all over again =) and this time, it WORKED. I've been playing like a devil here, loving all this. But only now, after finishing the League, I realized I should have opened it with VBA Link.
Google sent me here, and following your instructions, Animeman, IT WORKED. I had a thousand chills, and as the guy above me, I only registered on this board to say: THANK YOU.
And it's never late.

=D Thank you a thousand times, and whoever started the board, at 2006 (lol), thank you.

ZibbeZabbe

Hey.. I have a visualboy advanced on my mac. and it has none of the options needed (for example. only supports .SAV and not the "quick save" function) it is basically just able to save to battery, no other way of saving. Has really few options... But it works and that is good enough for me... So i've done all the steps i could and i just get a new save... (i loaded battery. that is basically it) and it wont work. as said. it just starts the game from begining (even tho on save i have beaten Elite 4 (Fire Red))

Last edited:

ZibbeZabbe

Hey.. I have a visualboy advanced on my mac. and it has none of the options needed (for example. only supports .SAV and not the "quick save" function) it is basically just able to save to battery, no other way of saving. Has really few options... But it works and that is good enough for me... So i've done all the steps i could and i just get a new save... (i loaded battery. that is basically it) and it wont work. as said. it just starts the game from begining (even tho on save i have beaten Elite 4 (Fire Red))

I solved it... My misstake mostly. I screwed up something when moving the .sav file. just ignore my question :p

yason

Tutorial from VBA 1.8.3 Beta into VBA Link
"SGM into SG1"

If you have some mysterious(?) thing, like you couldn't save the game (save error, change the backup memory)
you'll need some coding in

STEP 0
1. "Options"
2. Expand "Emulator"
3. Expand "Save Type"
4. Choose Flash
5. Choose 128K

STEP 1
1. "Tools"
2. "Memory Viewer"
3. stay on 8 bit
4. Type on search "3005004"
5. Go

Take a rest :D
okay continue..

STEP 2
1. The first line "03005004"
2. The first 2 number "00" change it into "01"
3. Then click on Save
4. Name it with "03005004" or whatever
5. Size - whatever 1 or 2 or 3, doesn't matter

Then, back to your game.
now you can save it from the menu (START) of Pokemon Game, and you can export the battery file "file-name.sga"

And how to import from VBA Link
Here is it..

STEP 3
1. Open you VBA Link
2. Open the Pokemon Game
3. Important "repeat "STEP 0",STEP 1 and STEP 2"
3. After done, click "File"
4. Import battery file
5. Choose "file-name.sga"

Done !!
Now you can load the game from the inside pokemon.

Note : Ignore "Corrupted Save File" message, it will load anyway

Thank you
:D

Last edited:

Shwifty

Anyonw still able to help with this? Have a sgm save that i want working on fire red but i cant figure this damn thing out 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

keszeg71

Tutorial from VBA 1.8.3 Beta into VBA Link
"SGM into SG1"

If you have some mysterious(?) thing, like you couldn't save the game (save error, change the backup memory)
you'll need some coding in

STEP 0
1. "Options"
2. Expand "Emulator"
3. Expand "Save Type"
4. Choose Flash
5. Choose 128K

STEP 1
1. "Tools"
2. "Memory Viewer"
3. stay on 8 bit
4. Type on search "3005004"
5. Go

Take a rest :D
okay continue..

STEP 2
1. The first line "03005004"
2. The first 2 number "00" change it into "01"
3. Then click on Save
4. Name it with "03005004" or whatever
5. Size - whatever 1 or 2 or 3, doesn't matter

Then, back to your game.
now you can save it from the menu (START) of Pokemon Game, and you can export the battery file "file-name.sga"

And how to import from VBA Link
Here is it..

STEP 3
1. Open you VBA Link
2. Open the Pokemon Game
3. Important "repeat "STEP 0",STEP 1 and STEP 2"
3. After done, click "File"
4. Import battery file
5. Choose "file-name.sga"

Done !!
Now you can load the game from the inside pokemon.

Note : Ignore "Corrupted Save File" message, it will load anyway

Thank you
:D

I register this account to say thank you, you really "Save the day" ; )

I guess the whole idea to trasnfer the save through the gameboy's oringinal or "in-game" saving system, or aka the .sav file.
VBA and VBA Link runs differently in .sgm and .sg, but accept and produce same .sav forms.

One might be helpful notice is that,
When you are loading the .sav in another VBA, and going for STEP 2,
you would want to load the .sav file, or the battery file first ,
Then change the memory viewer,
otherwise you will not get the loading option in the game.