What kinds of roms work with DeSmuME?

red555

"The Newbie"
The title pretty much says it. What roms can this emulator use? I am having some trouble with it:(

Jale

It can run some homebrew ROMs, but some play commercial games partially (main menu only, graphic/sound bugs, etc). At least is a big improvement.

red555

"The Newbie"
Oh, and one more quick question(I didn't want to have to start another thread), but I was wondering if there was any way to speed up Project64 aside from getting a faster computer:happy:

Jale

An easier way to speed up Project64 without upgrading your PC is to experiment with the Counter Factor values. Higher values will skip more frames per second (FPS), but the chances to make it faster is not much, plus this feature isn't effective with all games.

Another alternative for slower computers is to use 1964 instead of Project64, because 1964 has a frame skipping feature... or well, you can use a plugin that has frame skipping feature to work on Project64.

red555

"The Newbie"
Would installing a newer version of Microsoft DirectX also help? I want to download version 9.0, but I don't want to have to sit through the 3+ hour download:msn_cry:unless I have to:innocent: (And yes, I do like smilies:D )

Jale

Having the latest version of DirectX may help as well regarding of compatibility issues, but in the performance field that's hardly noticeable.

opener001

I have only tested Advance War: dual Strike. Since it's the most anticipating game I hope to play on emulator. It works, but very slow and you can't really play since once you got into game, it's black on the bottom screen. It's very easy to get a bug message if press the wrong bottom. You have to realize you have to wait 2 minutes before anything shows up.:my_rambo:

red555

"The Newbie"
Okay, I'm using 1964 now and I am trying to experiment with different plugin combinations to get it to work as best as I can, but I am having some problems. What plugins do you think work best with 1964?

red555

"The Newbie"
Is there a way to transfer Jabo's video plugin from Project64 to 1964, because I can't find a place to download it from.

Jale

Yes. Just move the plugin from the Project64 plugin's folder to the 1964 plugin's folder. Jabo's sound plugin won't work on 1964 that's why I'm telling you to use Azimer's instead.

Last edited:

red555

"The Newbie"
Great! I got it working now, and it looks much better with Jabo's video plugin. Thanks for all of the help!:happy: