I'm Having Trouble With ZSNES

someidiot

Hello all,
I'm using Windows XP Professional SP2, and whenever I launch any game, it crashes in about 1-4 seconds (literally). The entire program crashes and I need to open up the task manager and end the program manually. I had the exact same setup and everything on Windows 2000 Professional SP4 and it worked great, but ever since XP Pro SP2 has been installed, it hasn't worked at all. I've been running it under these settings:

1280X1024 DS Full
HQ4X
Hi-Res Mode 7

Even if I tweak the settings, it still crashes. My computer is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+
1 Gig RAM
Radeon X1900 XT

I have tried setting the affinty of the program to one processor and both, but nothing happens. I reinstalled the video card drivers as well. I also tried SNES9X, but the same problem happens. My computer runs Project 64 1.6 and Chankast fine, but I don't know how to get this one to run.

By the way, I've been trying to run:

Super Mario World
Super Mario Kart
Primal Rage
Super Mario All Stars
Super Mario RPG

The same problem happens no matter what. Any ideas? Thank you so much if you can help me :)

Jale

Be sure to get the latest stable version (1.42) and not the WIP (1.43). Also, make sure your video, sound drivers and DirectX are up to date.

someidiot

Thanks for the reply :)
I tried that, still the same problem. I think it may be a problem with a process running, any ideas?

metalheadjc

Well, if it ran fine for you on win 2000, there is something you maybe can do (although I've never had problems with it myself)....

If you right click on the ZSNES .exe file, you can alter the run properties of it. One of the things you perhaps could do is change the compatibility mode to windows 2000. I don't know why your XP version won't run it, but this might fix the problem for you if it was running on win 2000 just fine. Or it might make it worse. Might as well try it. You can always undo it.

Are you overclocking? If so, this could cause instability in some situations, and perhaps this is one of those situations. Emulation requires the program to do things like fake certain hardware timings, mebbe it has something to do with it?

Let me know what comes of it :)

someidiot

Thanks for the suggestions, but I tried all of that already. Another forum suggested that I use Process Explorer to help me find out if anything is crashing ZSNES.

metalheadjc

If you think something else is crashing it, try starting windows in safe mode and running ZSNES maybe. Of course, now it is possible that something ISN'T running that needs to be for ZSNES to work, but if it does work in safe mode, you're one step closer.

It is odd that both of the SNES emulators won't run, though. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you need to update directX, or maybe your anti-virus software is interfering. Or maybe spyware inteference (run adaware-se). I'm running out of ideas, really.

Does your game make it to the intro screen, or is the screen black? Also, have you verified that your roms were not corrupted when you pulled them off your computer to reformat/install XP?

I'm just shooting in the dark, so lemme know what I'm hitting :p

someidiot

Well yesterday I scanned the computer with Spybot-Seach and Destroy. Is Adaware-SE any better?

Hmm, I'm thinking Avast! might be interfering although it didn't in Windows 2000. Is there anything special about the engines SNES9X and ZSNES use? Of course I would prefer to use ZSNES because it seems to run a little better and I like the HQ4X texture mode.

At first, it started crashing around 1-2 minutes into the game, and then as the problem persisted, it would crash within 1-4 seconds. I would see the loading screen and the intro, and then it would stall, the sound would crash and everything. And right now, it crashes about 2-5 minutes into the game, but I've discovered that if I press escape a couple times, the game continues for a few more seconds, and then it stalls again. I highly doubt it's my system because it's pretty powerful and I have slower computers here running it at the same settings with no problem.

Running it in safe mode is a good idea, I'll try that, thanks.

metalheadjc

I've had good success with Adaware-SE, but I dunno if it is any better persay.

Just let me know how the safe mode deal comes out, and I'll see what comes from there.

someidiot

I just ran it in safe mode, and it worked. Also, I noticed that when I ran it in safe mode, the sound and my USB Logitech Dual Action controller was disabled. I replaced the joystick drivers, and the problem still came up in normal XP mode. So I'm guessing it is probably the sound drivers.

Ok I just looked and apparently they posted some new sound drivers 3 days ago. I'll install them and see if ZSNES works.

EDIT: Well it went on longer when I replaced the sound driver, but it's still stalling. Hmm... what else could be interfering?

Last edited: