Hacking XBOX emulator on 360 to work on PC

TheCreator

As the XBox 360 uses an emulator to run XBox 1 games, is it possible to hack the emulator and modify it a bit so it would work on a desktop PC? I ask because the 360 probably has similar hardware to the PC.

onewecallgod

you're mixed up. its the xbox that has similar hardware to a PC, the 360's parts are nowhere near the same.

Kromsligo

TheCreator said:
would it be difficult to port it then, or is that again a case of no-one knowing trhe 360 programming?

the 360s hardware is so diffrent to a normal pc that emulation inside windows is years off if it can be done at all
take the cpu of the xbox 360 to quote wikipedia "The CPU, named Xenon (Microsoft) or Waternoose (IBM) is a custom IBM triple-core PowerPC-based design."
now try emulating something that can do 3 processes in the time it takes most pc cpus to do one and to add to that the graphics card is considered top of the line even for a pc today
these specs alone would send most programmers running for the hills

TheCreator

Remember, I'm not at all talking about an XBox 360 emulator for PC, but taking the XBox emulator from the 360 and porting it to work on the PC, to play normal XBox games on a PC. Or is it just the fact that the XBox emulator for the 360 has been designed for completely different hardware that it wouldn't be worth porting over and too difficult to do?

onewecallgod

writing a program to run the 360's xbox1 emulator is no different than making a 360 emulator itself

metalheadjc

Well, I sort of disagree. It's like saying that when Bungie made the Xbox port of Halo, they ran PC emulation. Or that in making a Linux version of a game, they emulate PCs. Not so. The question is not whether the 360's Xbox emulation can be emulated, but rather can it be hacked/patched in such a fashion that a PC would view it as native software.

This is the same as how it works when you try to put NES games on GBA. You can either emulate the NES, or you can use a patching program to make the GBA understand it.

But, there are multiple problems:

1. Nobody understands the Xbox better than Microsoft.
2. Nobody understands the 360 better than Microsoft.
3. Even the 360 Xbox emulator can hang up in system-link games, and the 360 is insanely powerful.

So, if the creators of both systems cannot get Xbox games to run glitchlessly on incredibly powerful hardware, attempts to port what they have created to the PC would result in even glitchier, as your PC is slower and we know the hardware less...

So, a better idea would be to figure out how to take Xbox games and patch/hack them into ports for PC :) I dunno how to do that. Dunno if it's possible. And if it's not, then it's certainly not possible to port the 360 Xbox emulator to PC either.

ViperXL2

Getting this emulator from the 360 would be quite a feat as the system protection is so well placed out that even some firmware hacks have turned up bad after just a few seconds of using it. The 360 uses a emulator to run xbox games and yes it is possiable to get it but getting throught the security is impossible at the moment maybe in a few years or so when you hear the news about homebrew being runned on the 360 maybe then we could get it.

chords7777777

So I came on this site to figure out how I may be possible to play these new xbox 360 games on a computer... Without the help of this forum and the people who like to gag... I was able to google a possible find. It took me around an hour and a half but I was able to find a site that explains to users how they are able to play xbox 360 games on their pc. The awesome thing is that it works... thanks for nothing forum... and keep on bitching to one-another :) For those of you seriously looking... keep searching... google works!

That's total rubbish. There's no XBOX 360 emulator available at all. If you really found one, which I seriously doubt, post some screenshots or provide a link.

spiky502

no no no they said that the xbox 360 is unhackble the but some 145465 star tec inside of the system you would have to be a super hacker and have a lot of skill and you probly still cant get it

Krazie kEEf

I don't know how old this topic is but Microsoft is already way ahead of the game on this. Looking for a 360 emulator? Microsoft's answer is: we will sell you one called Windows Vista. They have already stated their future games will run in Vista as well (though they may be ports). Knowing Microsoft there will be minimal code changes (leaving most of the work to DirectX or what have you) and hackers will have their chance then. I don't know any hacking group that would try to beat MS to the punch. When they open this can of worms I'm sure there will be a backdoor or two. If not, you can just get your hands on a copy of vista and play what they offer ya on the OS. I for one will settle for playing my 360 on my media center PC with a kb and mouse til then (wireless logitech USB).

Hopefully they will include Xbox1 backward compatibility when they launch their gaming plans on Vista to get people into using thier PCs for console games.

Zach

I don't know how old this topic is but Microsoft is already way ahead of the game on this. Looking for a 360 emulator? Microsoft's answer is: we will sell you one called Windows Vista. They have already stated their future games will run in Vista as well (though they may be ports). Knowing Microsoft there will be minimal code changes (leaving most of the work to DirectX or what have you) and hackers will have their chance then. I don't know any hacking group that would try to beat MS to the punch. When they open this can of worms I'm sure there will be a backdoor or two. If not, you can just get your hands on a copy of vista and play what they offer ya on the OS. I for one will settle for playing my 360 on my media center PC with a kb and mouse til then (wireless logitech USB).

Hopefully they will include Xbox1 backward compatibility when they launch their gaming plans on Vista to get people into using thier PCs for console games.

Uh... Wow...
As has been pointed out, how are you going to run 360 games on a PC or HTPC? Considering the fact that the hardware differences are drastic for one, you can't just put Vista on your PC and assume any game designed to run on a "vista/360" combo is going to work on a PC/Vista combo.

The only way you are going to see 360 games on the PC is if they are ported. When something is ported it always means code modifications, if not a completely new code base for the system in question.

As for people beating MS to the punch at anything.. Well there's nothing to beat them to in this case, and I seem to recall Windows XP product activation being cracked hours before it was released. MS is not invincible, and I don't see any way that you are gonna get 360 games to magically run on a PC.

blueshogun96

The Old Kid
Heh, haven't been here in a looooooong time, but it's great to be back :p

Anyway, I'm no expert on the Xbox360's hardware or exactly how it works, but if you ask me, Xbox360 emulation on the PC is somewhat possible. You all remember Cxbx (the Xbox1 emulator that used HLE with DirectX 8) right? The Xbox360 may be emulated the same way by intercepting the Xbox360 API calls using it's native API, which is Direct3D9. The Xbox360 uses an executable file format (called .xex) that is highly similar to the Xbox1's .xbe file format. It contains sections that are nearly the same with the same names only with a few new ones including the D3D9 section. Here is a link to some really good .XEX file documentation.

http://wiki.free60.org/XEX

If you are familiar with the .XBE file format from the Xbox1, then alot of this stuff will look deja vu familiar. But like HLE for the Xbox1, HLE for Xbox360 would still require you to have an Xbox360 XDK, and M$ isn't handing those out anytime soon. Heh, imagine walking up to the M$ office and asking them for an XDK. The'd probably say, "I'm sorry, we don't give XDKs to unlicenced developers. Sooooo, we'd appreciate it if you'd get the f@#% off of our property. Thank you, and have a nice day... and don't forget to preorder Halo 3!" :D

EDIT: Sorry for not thinking of this earlier, but I'm not suggesting you can do Cxbx style "Direct Code Execution" for Xbox360 emulation.